Upgrade to version 4.3 - experiencing battery dying at rapid pace
redhawks1
Enthusiast - Level 2

A few das ago I accepted the Verizon update to Android version 4.3 on my Note II.  I am now experiencing battery drainage at a rapid pace.  For example, After 3 hours of light use the battery is at 75%.  This is leading to the battery needed charged throughout the day whereas before the update I never had to charge throughout the day.  Is anyone experiencing this issue or does anyone have any suggestions.  (I don't think the battery is weak yet).  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade to version 4.3 - experiencing battery dying at rapid pace
Kev48us
Contributor - Level 1

im not having this problem its about the same if not a bit better

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi redhawks1 - Let's give you back the power to power your phone throughout the day! When checking the battery statistics in Settings>Battery what is using the majority of your battery life other than the screen? I would suggest clearing the RAM by pressing and holding your Home key, select RAM then Clear memory. This will close the running applications and allow the device run at optimal performance as there may have been a corruption through the upgrade. Please keep me updated on the status.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
metalgirl247
Enthusiast - Level 2

I never had to charge my GN2 even after heavy use!!! now it just drains since I got the update also Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Chir
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm experiencing this same problem. 

If I look at the battery statistics, "Google Services" has 43%.  In comparrison, the display only has 8%.

I received the 4.3 update last week.  The first day, it was awesome and then it started to go down hill.  I can't make it through the day, and I rarely use my phone except at night.  Typical use would put me at ~65% battery at the end of the day. 

Last night I had to put it on the charger around 7pm because it was at 4%.  When I woke (6:30am), it was at 36%.  I'm assuming that "Google Services" is just chewing up battery too fast.

I did some research on the issue before I came here looking for an official word from Verizon.  It appears that many Samsung customers across various carriers are having problems.  Samsung is pointing fingers at google.  Supposedly there was a patch to resolve the issue, but this patch hasn't been made available to verizon customers.

At this point, my phone is unusable.  If it's not attached to a charger, it will go dead.  I have a feeling this is putting some unnecessary strain on my phone and battery.

Please help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want that awesome upgrade to be a draining experience on you or your phone, metalgirl247. YaleK_VZW had a great suggestion to help the battery life. Also, be sure to check your email outbox in your phone for any messages that may have gotten stuck sending. Occasionally, a message can continue to send and never actually go through if the process was inturrupted, causing an endless sending loop and draining your battery quickly. Delete any messages stuck in your outgoing email folder. Let us know if those steps help.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
metalgirl247
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I have email turned off as I only use gmail

This all started when I got the upgrade....I was on the phone with Verizon tech support for over an hour....he had he hard reset my phone and said it would go back to the previous version...that didn't happen so I did all that for nothing!

He also said the update may have fried my battery and mine was still under warranty....software update can fry a battery?

Everyone I know that has this phone and the upgrade are steaming mad now Smiley Sad

Chir
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've found that if I turn my wi-fi off, things seem to be a little better.  My phone has been on the charger now for ~2 hours, and it's gone from 60-70%, which doesn't seem normal to me, but does seem better than with wifi on.  It was charging at ~1% per hour, now I'm at ~10%...

At this point, Google Play Services is now using 46% of my battery instead of Google Services.  Not sure what the difference is, but it almost seems like something was updated...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@metalgirl247

I'm so sorry for the experience you're having with your Galaxy Note 2!  I have the same model device with the latest update, and haven't experienced the same.  How has your battery performed since hard resetting the device?  If it hasn't improved, please let me know so I can further assist.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the time to provide this insight. Do you see any improvement with battery life with the device in Safe Mode? http://vz.to/IRHu97

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes