Unlocked vs. Locked Devices
lpaschall
Enthusiast - Level 1
  1. What are the advantages to buying an unlocked Note 10+ (other than price) vs. a locked one? 
  2. Are there any features/services that don't work (example: WiFi calling) on the VZW network with an unlocked device? 
  3. Are there any disadvantages to going with an unlocked device?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlocked vs. Locked Devices
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

1. No bloatware. The unlocked model isn't locked to the Verizon Wireless network for 60 days after purchase. 

2. The wifi calling and Verizon Visual Voicemail application isn't available on SIM unlocked unbranded devices. Other features that are Verizon Wireless exclusive are not available either.

3. The phone might not be able to connect to all the frequencies used by the Verizon Wireless network. The system updates will be on a different schedule than the branded versions, but the unlocked models do usually get the updates faster. The unlocked model needs to be capable of VoLTE calls in order to work on the Verizon Wireless network. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

I thought Wifi calling did work on Unlocked version of the note 10

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Generally wifi calling isn't available on unlocked models unless that model specifically states it is supported. For example, the wifi calling is supposed to work on the unlocked Pixel phones. Unfortunately I can't confirm that claim as I have a Pixel model purchased from Verizon Wireless and I can't get the wifi calling to work on it or I haven't figured out how. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

curts111
Enthusiast - Level 1

i stumbled on to this info about 2 seconds before buying an unlocked phone, its ridiculous that Verizon doesn't share this info in plain sight on their pages concerning unlocked phones! (they know)

VoWiFi

virtual email

videao calling

has do with developers OS (open Source)

i personally do NOT have a 4G signal within a mile of home (i work from Home) haven't had decent phone service since 4G arrived and expect i will never see 5G

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, we can provide guidance through here. How long ago did you make this purchase?

KerryC_VZW

0 Likes