Storage Issue. ."Misc files" using all my storage???
efrommel
Enthusiast - Level 3

Under my Storage settings (I was alerted I was coming close to my limit ) It says under Misc. files it shows I have 12.01GB Used. Not mb or Kb but GB? How do I find out whats in these t where so I can clear some room.Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Storage Issue. ."Misc files" using all my storage???
Tidbits
Legend

If you use any cloud services like you just said you did then it's is the cloud agent that is taking up that space.  You can clear it and any thing you have backed up shouldn't be deleted.  Samsung actually removed cloud agent in their newer devices probably because of this exact bug you are experiencing, and I still have it on some of my older devices even if they have been updated after they became aware of the bug.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have? Have you cleared the application cache on the phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
efrommel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I Have the Note 4, and yes I cleated them all. This happened suddenly one day I had MORE then half still available so around 17GB now Ive got about LESS then 4GB? But I don't remember seeing 12.02GB of data in my misc files section, I may have not looked because I usually only pay attention to available, but I know for a fact the end of the last week or week before I had a ton, because I wanted to transfer music, just never got around to it. Caches empty, almost all photos and videos moved to cloud storage, after doing all that no change in what each section read as far as how much they were using???

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Do you use any apps like Google Photos, Dropbox, or any photo backup type apps? I have a feeling it's the cloud agent. Google search for it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Efrommel, this is something that all Android devices struggle with. Tidbits and the other community members asked great questions. Based on my knowledge a major portion of these files are form web searches and important OS files. One other way to try to manage these files are is keeping your RAM clear. Here is a great app made by Samsung to help: http://bit.ly/21ngguu. This is not a fix but it helps.

AnthonyM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
efrommel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I mentioned before, I've cleaned out all of that "caches" Stored data from my Application manager, deleted around 8-9 applications, moved all files and a huge chunk of my photos to cloud storage and when I went back to look at my storage usuage nothing had changed in any of the categories. That doesn't make any sense ? I should have cleared 3-4 GB of info I deleted or transferred. 3 weeks ago I had nearly half of my storage available. I haven't downloaded or added 12GB of space in that period of time. I took maybe 15-18 new photos but that's it. My Misc. section on my list of storage usage says it has 12Gb of material in it? What is the materia, it just says Misc. and when I go to it its lists several things but its numbers and letters for the items , when I click on something it says "there no App to view this"? So I have 12GB literally misc because I Can't view any of it to see what it is so I can delete it or not?

With regards to my other issues. All of sudden my signal strength won't go over 2 bars?? I live in the same place, zip code New Albany, Oh 43054. No new buildings or construction anywhere. But has been very difficult to deal with! I've had 5 bars or 4 since I purchased it 17-18 months ago. my 4G LTE no longer shows any activity, the arrows below it on the notification bar at the top use to blink, not anymore. My Keyboard has become a nightmare it either picks the wrong letter or not at al, the voice to text is so aggravating, and now using my S-pen has become my only option, which still does not work like it used to. Took me 30min to write this reply because of how many times it displays the wrong word from what I've written with my Spen. These are all new issue less than 3 weeks maybe 4.

0 Likes
efrommel
Enthusiast - Level 3

The misc. files showed this before I downloaded any Google Apps, I only downloaded that so I could backup what I still have because I'm losing access to many of my photos? Shows them there but wont display them , just shows I think the letters "MP4" or something along those lines?

[Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes
efrommel
Enthusiast - Level 3

Note 4 and yes I regularly clear my App caches.

[Removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

efrommel,

We understand this is frustrating. Let's look at other options. How do you back up your phone? Do you have your pictures on some other device or application?  Any software updates or other apps installed recently?

JenelleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
efrommel
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's set to automatically update Some apps every so often in my settings.

As far as photos I have several on my phone, but when I started getting the alerts that my storage was nearly full it automatically started saving things to my SD card which was empty until this started. So thats when I started moving alot of my material to cloud storage to free up room. But Thats where my concern is that even after doing that it didn't free up any space.      Before this happened I had plenty of room and I haven't downloaded anything since then except a photo editing App but I deleted that since this started and a few other Apps that I've had on my phone for awhile. The updates are only for essential applications nothing large, they were under 100Mb and still only 3-4 app updates in the past month.

I attached a Screen shot of my Storage usage Breakdown. what and how do I find out whats in the misc files? It says what they are associated with but I can't see what the data is to find out if I need to save it or delete it safely.

[Removal required by theVerizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes