Proximity Sensor Issues and Signal Issues
phillip_greene

I've had my N3 for about 3 months now I think. I don't know if I was just really in love with it at first or if it's actually consistently getting worse. I think it's getting worse, because I still love it, sometimes.

The most annoying issue just started in the last few weeks. I've read about a lot of other people having this same issue as well so I know it's not just me. When making a call and putting the phone to my ear, typically the screen turns off as it should. Then moving the phone away at the end of the call and the screen comes back on. Well now it doesn't come back on. I have to physically push a button to get the screen back on so I can end the call. Last night I made an a call and put the phone to my face and it didn't turn off either. This makes for particularly awkward periods of time where you can't say anything because you can still hear the other person on the phone and can't get your to hang up. Very annoying when you're in a hurry because you stepped out to answer a call or something. This also seems to be a well documented problem.

The more persistent issue started a while back with the software update that claimed to "Improve Connectivity" in November I think it was. I spend a lot more time without 4G since this update. I live in a big-ish city and I never had so many issues losing 4G with my Droid Charge. But now I frequently drop 4G and go back to 3G or quite frequently down to 1X. This is particularly common in buildings, which I understand could present issues but we're talking about 1 story buildings, 20 feet or so from the front wall which is mostly windows. I often can't use my phone inside at all unless theres wifi. On a recent road trip we stopped at a gas station and my wife pulls out her S4 and checks facebook, sends some messages, checks her email, etc. I pull out my phone and have no signal AT ALL. Can't even text or make a call, have the circle with a line through it. After several minutes of fumbling through turning mobile data on and off, airplane mode on and off I finally get a bar and a 1X connection.

This is a practically brand new $300 (only because I signed a contract, really what $600?) phone that I can't rely on to make phone calls while a mile off the interstate at a gas station? I don't expect 4G there maybe, but phone calls.. yeah that should work. Everywhere. Alright maybe not the backwoods of Idaho or something, but if you're within earshot of the main interstate through a state you should be able to make phone calls.

Very Frustrated,

Phillip

0 Likes
Re: Proximity Sensor Issues and Signal Issues
phillip_greene

So I guess no one from Verizon actually reads or responds to messages here?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

phillip.greene wrote:

So I guess no one from Verizon actually reads or responds to messages here?

This is a peer-to-peer forum; VZW reps occasionally respond to threads marked as a question (this one wasn't, unfortunately), but they don't respond to every post and it's sometimes days after a post is left.  And re-posting in a new thread to mark it as a question is against the forum's Terms of Service since it's a duplicate post. 

Service isn't guaranteed in buildings.  One thing you can try (especially when you're traveling) is turn off the phone, wait a minute or two, then turn the phone back on and allow it to re-establish a network connection.  That allows the SIM card to automatically update the Preferred Roaming List (PRL), which may help.  If it doesn't, try turning off the phone, removing the SIM card (be careful not to touch the gold contacts), then re-insert the SIM card, turn the phone back on, and allow it to re-establish a network connection.  If that doesn't help, you could try a new SIM card (they're free at your local Corporate Verizon store).

0 Likes
phillip_greene

I appreciate your response, even though it mostly saddens me. I didn't realize it was pretty much un-monitored by Verizon. Verizon Community makes you think they're involved.. they should call it the Verizon Customer Community instead.

I understand they may not guarantee signal in buildings (or anywhere else for that matter), but let's be realistic. No one buys a phone to walk outside to use it or intends to only be able to use it outside. I shouldn't be relegated to years old technology like 1X data connection on a brand new phone when I step 10 feet inside a building. I also shouldn't have to even think about pulling my sim card to get the phone to work. If I'm traveling and having problems I don't have time to take my phone apart and play with it and wait a few minutes for this or that to 'maybe' get it working again.

And I assure you, my tone is not directed at you as I know this is not your problem or fault. Just making a statement about the situation in general. I really believe its a phone issue and will be taking it to the store as soon as I get some time. Thanks again for the reply.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon Wireless Community (and its predecessor the Verizon Residential forum) was a peer to peer customer forum long before any of the reps started posting in any official capacity. Same thing for the Sprint forum, AT&T forum and the T-Mobile community which are all peer to peer customer forums hosted by their respective carrier websites.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
inxcess

I had the same problem with my Note 3. I have read that there were a lot of problems with the Samsung Push service. So, I disabled the Samsung Push Service in the settings / apps manager / all / Samsung Push Service. I rebooted the phone and the problem is now history. After that, I also disabled or shut off much of the bloatware installed on the phone that I will never use. Didn't touch any system apps. You can Google a list of safe apps to shut off.

0 Likes
phillip_greene

Funny timing. I just went to the store today and a new phone is on its way. I have disabled the Samsung push service and restarted the phone and there's no change in the function of my proximity sensor.

0 Likes
phillip_greene

For the heck of it I just disabled as much other garbage as possible, still no change in function of the proximity sensor.

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

(Discussion of moderation removed as required by the Terms of Service) but they rarely provide a useful answer.  "I'm sorry your phone slapped your dog.  Nobody wants that to happen.  Lets try some basic troubleshooting steps even though you clearly indicated that you tried them a week ago when you posted your message."

FWIW, proximity sensors are often quirky.  The one on my phone (not a Note 3) often decides that my hand is a face and blanks the screen as I try to enter numbers during a call.  I have to make sure that my fingers and thumb are curled as tightly as possible so my bear paw doesn't set off the proximity sensor.  I don't know where the sensor is on the Note 3 but maybe you've got a finger over it or something.  Just spitballing.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
phillip_greene

As I said originally, the problem with this sensor is it never senses the 'moved from face' or uncovering signal. It works to turn off the display, but it won't turn back on by itself. The sensor is right beside the speaker. I've experienced the same with my finger if I use my index finger and have my other fingers straight out typing it turns off the screen occasionally. I understand this as, essentially, a necessary evil.

Even though this issue is pretty well documented hardware problem, when I took it to the store today they insisted on doing a factory reset on the phone only to find the issue persisted. So now I've got a 'new' phone until my 'new new' (likely a refurb which is frustrating as well) phone shows up in the mail. This limbo period is a bit annoying as all my settings/preferences/etc need to be reset to my liking, but then I just have to do this all again when the new one shows up.

0 Likes