Previous Note 7 owners - how do we upgrade to the Note 8 without being penalized by Verizon?
valerie14432
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't understand how this will work. I had the Note 7.  LOVED IT. Pre-ordered it in blue.  Was forced to exchange it for a black one without battery issues.  Then they were ALL recalled and we were forced to get a new phone with a new contract.  We stuck with Samsung (got the S7 edge) because Samsung promised they would make it right on the Note 8's with us if we stayed with them.  Now I see on my Verizon page it shows I have to fulfill my contract with them that still has 14 months on it, OR pay $495 to pay off my stupid S7 Edge. 

In the meantime, Samsung is offering a $425 credit on their Note 8, which would be $24+ month.

If I get this deal through Samsung directly, how will this affect my Verizon bill?

Re: Previous Note 7 owners - how do we upgrade to the Note 8 without being penalized by Verizon?
Xtremelion81
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just spent like 30 min on the phone with Verizon and basically told me that I had to pay off the balance on my Pixel XL. He said that they have nothing in their system that says anything else regarding old note 7 owners. samsung is going to take care of people BUT we are still liable for our lease agreement on the phone that we would be handing over to them. So not only are we going to pay the 24 per month to them but also the monthly fee for the phone that we just handed over to samsung until that agreement is paid off.

Re: Previous Note 7 owners - how do we upgrade to the Note 8 without being penalized by Verizon?
valerie14432
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got off the phone with Verizon as well.  He told me I still have to pay off my bill - but if I go to Samsung's website and purchase the phone, it will all show up on my Verizon bill - but that is NOT the case.  I just tried it and Samsung said they would pull my credit and bill me directly.  I'm SO confused!  What a complete mess.  I now wish I had just switched to iPhone.  Samsung has [Removed] over for the last time.  I'll never buy another Samsung product again.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Xtremelion81
Enthusiast - Level 2

Heres the kicker from Samsung chat......Basically told me that we have to be free of monthly payments BEFORE trading into them for the note 8 promotion from former note 7 customers. Thank you Verizon and Samsung for ramming that metal shaft in our behinds......Way to take care of your customers.

Snunn0219
Enthusiast - Level 3

I spoke to Verizon Customer Service this morning and can also confirm that the company has no plan in place for former Note 7 customers.

I have been a loyal VZW customer for more than 10 years. I ordered the Note 7, and sent it back during the second recall. My plan was to continue using my old phone until now, when the Note 8 was available. However, that all backfired when my old galaxy started having issues. I ended up with the Galaxy 7 because I had no other options.

Now I want the Note 8 but I am straddled with the galaxy until it is paid off. I wanted to return the galaxy, receive the credit that is being offered on trade in and pay the difference (approximately $100) in the remaining balance and upgrade to the 8. However, I was told that wasn't an option either. I had to pay 100% of my phone and the discount would be applied to the Note 8.

Frankly, I feel this is VERY short-sighted for the company. They knew there would be people upset that they couldn't get a Note 8. Again, they seem more focused on new customers than they are loyal returning customers.

Snunn0219
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Note 7 fiasco is Samsung's fault. However, the rest of what you are talking about (IMHO) is Verizon's fault. They are not honoring Note 7 customers that were left with no choice but to upgrade to a different phone.

NATCOM93
Enthusiast - Level 1

Samsung and Verizon should be working together to take care of us previous Note 7 owners.  We were forced to give up a phone we loved for a phone we did not want!   This is crazy.   I've been with Verizon for over 10 years and have had every Note back to the Note 2.  I spend a lot of money with Verizon on other phones and devices too.   Not a great way to treat a loyal customer!    Might be time to go to an iPhone with AT&T.  

RACBRO3
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is a freaking mess!'

I do not understand why Verizon can not take the $480 that I would get if my S7E was paid off, and apply that to actually pay off my phone, take my S7E and give me a Note 8 with no discount.

Is that not fair and equal? This sucks. Why are they forcing us to stay with phones we never wanted to begin with and were forced to use our UPgrade and a DOWNgrade! Totally not fair.

KINNISON_PHILLIP
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update on this issue. I went to my version store and talked with someone in person. As far this current question about being able to get the note 8 outside of paying our current device balance. They don't think that will change unless corporate is in the middle of getting something worked out that they don't know about. However I was able to upgrade because I had another phone on my account ready to upgrade. He basically transferred that upgrade to my phone line. That other phone now pays the installments of this phone. I get to trade in my pixel and get a trade in credit also. This means I still pay for my replacement phone overall just not all at once. So if you have another that's eligible to upgrade you can transfer that. That's about the only lol hole I think that you can do.

SjkNak
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got this sent in my email:

A special opportunity for former Galaxy Note7 owners. No one deserves the Galaxy Note8 more than you.
Dear Norma,

We understand. When you first used the Galaxy Note7, it was a big deal. Many owners said it was the best phone they ever had.

The new Galaxy Note8 is a testament to Samsung's legacy of innovation and is proof that we can, and will, learn from our mistakes. It pushes the boundaries of meaningful innovation allowing you to do bigger things in work and life. Note8 has gone through our industry leading quality assurance process. In fact, it is our most advanced phone yet.

We are continuing to work hard to earn your trust. As part of that process, I'm delighted to share an exciting opportunity, exclusively for former Samsung Galaxy Note7 owners.

As a former Note7 owner, you are eligible for a special offer when you upgrade to Galaxy Note8. Simply click on the link below to purchase Note8 and return your current phone, and we'll give you an instant trade-in value of up to $425.*

Your favorite carrier or retailer may have other offers for you to take advantage of instead, so I also encourage you to check out what they have available.

Thank you for believing in us and inspiring us to be better. We want to show you our appreciation. You deserve nothing less.

Sincerely,

Tim [Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator