Note 8 sudden cracked screen - not dropped or damaged in any way
M77LM
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had my Note 8 for 13 days.  Yesterday my phone was sitting on my desk and I looked down and noticed a small crack on the screen.  I picked up the phone to look at it and it started cracking more.  This phone has never been dropped or damaged in any way.  I have had  an otter box and the expensive screen protector from Verizon on it. I called Samsung and they want $300 to fix.  In researching this issue it seems that this was an issue with the S8 glass as well.  I have had cell phones for many years and have never had a cracked screen.  I have been so careful with this very expensive phone and am so upset that this has happened when I did nothing to cause this damage.

Re: Note 8 sudden cracked screen - not dropped or damaged in any way
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Wow I would be so sick right now if that happen to me. A lot of the S8 owners said that their phone got very warm or even hot when this happened is that what your phone felt like? There is a lot of people however that said the same thing that the phone was just sitting there and this happened. I would keep my eyes open for other Note 8 owners and see if this is going to be a bigger problem then the S8 and hopefully something can be worked out. Good Luck and please keep us posted on your situation.

M77LM
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am sick about this.  I traded in a perfectly fine S6 that I had for 2 years and worked great to have this happen after 13 days.  I don't believe the phone was warm or hot when it happened but I really don't remember because I was in complete shock that it had a crack from just sitting there.  I will be on the look out for others with this problem.  I called a couple local electronics repair shops and they don't repair the Note 8 yet and they said it will be a while before they get parts and are able to repair it.  So basically I'm stuck with a $1,000 cracked phone that I haven't even made a payment on yet or I send it in to Samsung and pay $300 and go without a phone for however long it takes to repair Smiley Sad

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I think your best bet would be to send it back to Samsung if you do get it repaired. Otherwise you could void out any warranty that might be left on the phone. Some of the repair places are not authorized to work on a phone and that could be a problem later on down the road. Let us know how it works out for you. 

TSIHOC10
Enthusiast - Level 1

My screen cracked after using the phone for 7 days.  I've owned a note 5 for 2 years and never had a problem.  Additionally, I've owned previous galaxy models and I also never had any issues.  This is the first time in 17 years of owning a wireless device that I had such a problem!!!!!  Verizon wants to charge me a $199 deductible and my phone warranty is now voided.  I also contact Samsung, who told me i can send in my phone for analysis but I'd have to be without my phone for 2 weeks and even if they repaired it, it would also be out of warranty.  So basically there is something super delicate about the screen on the note 8 but if you have any issues with it, you are not warrantied for the screen and the device is no longer warrantied.  This is super unfair and ridiculous.  Now i'm stuck with a $900+ phone that is not warrantied.  Apparently Best buy has been replacing these phones but not Verizon. Customer service reps were rude and not helpful

DSCRAP927
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had my Note 8 for 3 days and noticed a crack coming from the power button. It was about 3/8 of an inch heading towards the center of the phone. You could see a longer crack under the glass stemming from the original crack. The phone was never dropped or mistreated. I only noticed the crack when I took the original plastic wrap off to install a screen protector that i had ordered. I took the phone back to best buy and had to argue to get it replaced. I had to get the geek squad protection @ $10.99 A month before they would replace it. Luckily I didn't have to pay any sort of deductible. Hopefully the new phone does not have the same issue. I have a screen protector and a case on it. This may be a bigger issue. Time will tell.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Did I read this right that they made you pay for the protection then they gave you a new phone or refurbished phone? How long are you under contract for the geek squad protection? I think you maybe right about this being a bigger issue. I have seen on a lot web sites about this crack and the starting point of it is just like you said.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Where was the crack on your phone in the same spot that DSCRAP927 described?

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

If your phone was only about a week old why did Verizon tell you that it did not have a warranty? Was it because of the crack or were there other issues?

0 Likes
dwaineclark1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just had a similar issue.  Not dropped but screen is cracked starting on the left side below the Bixby button. Oddly enough, the screen is cracked but there is no damage to the zagg tempered glass screen protector that has been on from day 1. Wish I had my note 7 back.