Note 7 return
ROYEVE47
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can I turn in my replacement note 7 now and wait for the LG v20 to be released?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Note 7 return
COUGOO23
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is really not accurate.   If you take your Replacement Note 7 (which Samsung advises to Turn off and return immediately) to a Corporate Verizon Store where you purchased it, you can not walk out with a replacement phone.  They force you to order a replacement online and wait for it to arrive by shipping before you can return the defective Note 7 via Fedex.  Then only after they receive the returned package will they credit your account for the returned phone.  This will take a minimum of 2 to 3 days and in the interim you will be forced to use the potentially dangerous recalled phone or do without a phone until your replacement shipment arrives.  Also they  will only ship your replacement phone with Signature Required so if you work away from your home during the delivery times you will not be able to have it delivered and will have to drive to FEDEX distribution hub to pick up your new phone after they attempt delivery the first time.  This adds at least another day.      This process is UNACCEPTABLE.  They have many many possible alternative phones in stock in all the stores but will not sell you one and let you leave with it if you want to Return a Note 7.  

View solution in original post

joelr_vzw
Verizon Employee

Effective 10/10/16 Verizon is suspending sales of the replacement Note7, including exchanges from the recalled Note7, while Samsung works with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to investigate the safety of replacement Samsung Galaxy Note7 smartphones. Any Verizon customer concerned about the safety of their replacement or recalled Note7 smartphone may take it back to the original point of purchase to exchange it for a different smartphone. Verizon online customers may also exchange their replacement or original Note7 smartphones at Verizon stores. This includes returning your device.

0 Likes
ROYEVE47
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can you please tell me if I can wait until the LG v20 comes out? That is the question. Thanks

tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

Additional question.  I bought the Note 7 (I am just past my 14 day purchase) post the first recall so I have the allegedly safer 2nd version.  Now, to date, the phone has never run warm and I have to admit, I really like this one and am really going back and forth on other versions.  I'd sacrifice the pen for the S7 Edge but at the same time, I prefer the USB-C connector now; it seems much more stable and solid than the S7 Edge (or my previous Note 4) connection.  

So, the question comes up, if someone decides to chance it and keep the 2nd version "safer" variety, rather than try and exchange, will Samsung still honor the standard phone warranty and will Verizon honor a protection plan in place for the phone?

As for waiting on upcoming phones not yet out, I am going to guess it depends upon timing.  Someone else asked about the Google Pixel which is out on the 20th; nine days away.  If what I found is true about the LGV20 release date of 21 October, 10 days away, just like with the original Note 7 recall, there may be a 30 day grace period for those exchanges.

Weth
Legend

If you ignore the recall, there will be no support offered. Samsung or Verizon, or anyone else will not attempt to fix or replace a phone that has been removed from the market as a danger.  It is even possible that Samsung or Verizon will send an update that effecitvely disables the phone from use. You also put yourself at significant legal risk if something should happen to the phone you know has been deemed a danger and it harms someone in any way. The thought that your desire to keep the phone could bring down an airliner should be reason enough for you to not even consider what you state.

There will be no Note 7. It is a orphaned name and device. I suspect Samsung will do a deep dive and find the true defect that is causing the problem, correct it, change a few other minor things and release an updated device with a different name. They may keep the Note line, but it would not surprise me if Samsung totally changes the name.

0 Likes
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

Like I said, it was just a question and it wasn't answered on the Samsung or Verizon site as a standard warning/disclaimer.   Note that even Verixon states "Any Verizon customer concerned about the safety of their replacement or recalled Note7 smartphone."  I wasn't concerned so the question needed to be asked.

I hadn't planned on jumping right on to an aircraft, train, boat whatever and trust me, as an emergency responder I wouldn't place people in danger.

guzzimike66
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am @ work today but the packaging and stuff my replacement came with is @ home. A corporate store is a few blocks away from me. Can I return the 7 today and not bother with the other stuff?

0 Likes
COUGOO23
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is really not accurate.   If you take your Replacement Note 7 (which Samsung advises to Turn off and return immediately) to a Corporate Verizon Store where you purchased it, you can not walk out with a replacement phone.  They force you to order a replacement online and wait for it to arrive by shipping before you can return the defective Note 7 via Fedex.  Then only after they receive the returned package will they credit your account for the returned phone.  This will take a minimum of 2 to 3 days and in the interim you will be forced to use the potentially dangerous recalled phone or do without a phone until your replacement shipment arrives.  Also they  will only ship your replacement phone with Signature Required so if you work away from your home during the delivery times you will not be able to have it delivered and will have to drive to FEDEX distribution hub to pick up your new phone after they attempt delivery the first time.  This adds at least another day.      This process is UNACCEPTABLE.  They have many many possible alternative phones in stock in all the stores but will not sell you one and let you leave with it if you want to Return a Note 7.  

Weth
Legend

I can't believe they are shipping these phones back by air with Fedex -- Is that correct?

FIRE_BLASTER2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think it's ridiculous that you have to pay all of the fees again as well as tax even though I Used this phone as my Upgrade choice. This is supposed to be the safer v2... Which was treated and everything. I cant afford paying those again.