Re: Note 7 Recall
sztheday2006
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree that Verizon is handling this poorly at the onset. I had to search for any information regarding the recall through the entire site and finally resorted to Chat. I had two separate chat sessions(the first dropped and screen disappeared) with reps yesterday evening that claimed no one had reached out to them prior to my doing so and the only solution was to return it since I had only had the device 7 days and exchange for another phone in stock or go back to previously used phone and reverse my upgrade. I had to really push about waiting until new devices were available from Samsung to replace with the same device. I pointed out to each rep that Samsung was obviously standing behind the device and replacing not just in stock but already purchased stock so there was no downside for Verizon replacing the device with a NEW device once the corrected devices are available despite possibly being later than September 30. 

They did offer the warranty replacement option outside of the September 30th deadline they have imposed but that usually comes with refurbished devices and not necessarily in the color of my choosing. I had to buy mine through Verizonwireless.com due to neither of my local stores having any devices in Coral Blue and I received email notifications of purchase, shipping and updates but Reps said they knew of no plans to notify owners of the 2-week old device with replacement options once they became available. Just the same old line, "you can check back with us in a day or two" option and putting the onus on us, as owners.

When I see the other major carriers respond proactively and consumer-centric, I was disappointed with the initial Verizon response, just linking to their Twitter feed that still has the sales announcement in their banner for the Note 7 debut.  In the article on Engadget,(owned by Verizon now) Samsung explains how the US Galaxy Note 7 recall will work the other carriers at least seem to offer more options initially to satisfy customers if only to provide information and suggest a wait and see unless you are having problems currently.

I hope Verizon will step up to provide customer service for customers that remain with them, like myself, after two decades despite being able to get it for less elsewhere.

AT&T Statement on Exchanges for the Samsung Galaxy Note7 | AT&T

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/samsung-note7-update.htm

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/samsung-galaxy-note-7-sales-suspended-at-sprint.htm

Verizon News on Twitter: "We have stopped selling the Samsung Galaxy Note7. No restocking fee throug...

Now that Samsung has announced replacements as early as September 9th,How to replace your Samsung Galaxy Note 7 | TechRadar I anxiously await Verizon's response and hope that purchasers of the device since launch will be notified when stock is available. It will probably determine my desire to remain a Verizon customer.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

You, before the deadline, have the capability to return the phone now to Verizon and wait for a new one, send it back to Samsung, or wait past September. If you wait past September and you were to get a refurb, it would be the correct replacement option, as your phone at that point too, would be USED and not new when they gave you a chance to replace it.

And as far as the replacement date.....what if Samsung decides to deal with the carriers in ABC order?! The carriers have no way of controlling when they will get the devices in stock, no much more so when a new product is launched and retailers run out of stock. They do not know; and can't hold hard to a date. A lot of these "expectations" are highly unreasonable.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Once again an unreasonable response. How can a company rightly list what they are gonna do about a problem when the supplier is still trying to sort things out?! Just because other companies said what they are doing, doesn't mean that's what's gonna happen.

0 Likes
pruqui
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think the media is really blowing this thing up for only a small amount of these exploding phones came to light and I am pretty sure they didn't use OEM chargers, MY NOTE 7 IS JUST FINE AND YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Excellent point.

I personally think that people see that they need these new types of chargers, but then say "I'm not paying that, I'm going on Amazon". Then when something happens, it's an issue. Cheaper is not always better. What's the old saying? An ounce of cure is a pound of prevention or something like that.

0 Likes
jimmyzoso
Enthusiast - Level 3

Right 35 phones reported. Samsung announced the root cause is from a battery supplier with defective cells. Whether the people used OEM chargers or not is not as important as the information Samsung provided that the part itself is inherently defective.

~0.1% of 1MM phones is about 1K phones. Could be more, could be less. Chances are we may not have a defective phone. I, as well as many on the forum, aren't willing to take that chance of injury or fire to ourselves, children, or loved ones. Until I can verify my phone does not have a defective battery, yes, I will continue to be concerned as should all other Note 7 owners.

Samsung has been brought to the attention of this issue a few weeks back. There was plenty of time to work with suppliers and a solution to replacements. The announcement should have been made lock-step with suppliers so there would be a plan from this initial onslaught of concern after their initial announcement, which strategically was made after the stock market closed before the weekend. This announcement directs us to call Samsung or the retailer outlet and to move forward with the exchange or whatever option. Currently we are told one thing vs another and left in the dark, expected to dig out the information ourselves. It is THEIR responsibility, period.

If you're happy and not caring to replace your phone, great! Better chance for one of us who are waiting to get one sooner.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

It's the other way around lol

0 Likes
KENTHO56
Enthusiast - Level 2

pherson, thanks for feedback but you seemed to miss the main point. I was expressing frustration for how disappointed I am as a faithful Verizon customer for Verizon's lack of communication/information on this equipment safety topic. Which to me is the sign of poor customer service. This simply isn't about a phone that isn't working, it's about potential 'exploding' batteries.

For years my family and I have provided lots of $$ and loyalty to Verizon as our sole wireless phone provider. I expect better customer service when I am concerned not only for my daughter's safety and also for her ability to keep the communication device of choice. In this thread we see where customers have had to reach out and make calls directly to Samsung or Verizon, or search the web for correct answers. There are lots of things Verizon should be communicating, and some of it is buried in these threads that customers themselves are communicating based on their own person research.

We shouldn't have to go to this chat area to figure these things out. Verizon should already being sending out communications or at least providing an easy linked path from Verizon's main web page and read up to date information about what is going on. Instead, that information is buried in these chat areas and provided by customers, NOT Verizon.

If a customer (i.e. my daughter and the Note 7 I purchased for her) is in possible physical danger from an exploding phone... I want the company I bought it from to show more concern and offer more helpful information, even if they can't give final details at this time. There is a lot they could be communicate that would be useful and helpful. We shouldn't have to be 'digging' it up for ourselves in sources everywhere else other than Verizon directly from whom we purchased the phone from.

KENTHO56
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you posting the information you gathered from your Verizon phone call. I am not happy that Verizon isn't sending this to all the customers who purchased Note 7s from them. Or at least providing easily links to the same information from the FRONT page of their web site.

netminder32
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had my Note 7 for two weeks... noticed it got warm when charging.  I went into the settings, disabled the Rapid Charging... now when on the charger, no detectable increase in temperature whatsoever.