Note 4 battery issues from bad firmware
Matthwo8
Enthusiast - Level 2

So my note for is having bad battery life, not when it gets down in the 20'% ithe will go blank and reboot.  When it comes back up it just keeps rebooting until I plug it in.  I've talked to tech support twice, both offering to send me a new battery, yet Verizon is out of stock on them..so their next suggestion were for me to pay off my edge plan to my upgrade point. Then I'm what I felt was a more insulting offer she said I could pay the full amount and keep the device and upgrade. (Why the [profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] would I want to do that?)...clearly there is a device problem across devices. Cut the [removed] Verizon!!!!! Somebody, ANYBODY take ownership of this and get it resolved!! ..please send a update to fix my phone!  Verizon Wireless Admin Verizon Admin

Re: Note 4 battery issues from bad firmware
MCPFail
Enthusiast - Level 3

the lollipop update killed my phone to the point that I hated my note 4.  HAAAATED it.  Same issues as you with battery.  internally some cells just died.  I'd be charging at lunch and then after dinner.  And finally it would get to 25ish percent and then just die in minutes.  I replaced the battery, and to my surprise nearly all my issues went away.  Overheating, odd performance, rebooting... nearly every problem.  Battery lasted decently all day again.  Only down to 75% by lunch.

I believe the first lollipop update killed my battery slowly.  Subsiquently one of the 2 or 3 updates (5.0.1) fixed it but by then the battery damage was done.

None of this helps your out of stock situation with Verizon and the battery.  What I did was bought the Amazon "Stock battery" that comes with the stock charger.  I made sure to get one sold by Amazon so I would be certain to get an OEM battery.  It was $35-40. 

Perhaps you could tell Verizon to discount your bill $50 and you'll just order it from Amazon?

0 Likes
llamee
Enthusiast - Level 3

I updated to the 5.1.1 update today hoping it would fix my battery issues.  Instead, I now have 4 hours left on a full charge.  Completely unacceptable.  I am literally watching my percentage drop while I type this on a desktop.  This phone has been nothing but issues and unfortunately I purchased two of them when they came out.  What's even more upsetting has been Verizon's response to the software and hardware issues.  My phone is essentially useless after this update and now I don't know what to do to fix it - buy new batteries or two new phones.  Thanks Verizon!

0 Likes
MCPFail
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, I know you're angry and rightly so.  As I said above I was in the same boat.  PLEASE do yourself a favor and try buying a single new battery.  See if it fixes either of your phones.  Be sure it isn't a counterfeit battery and is Samsung OEM.  The Verizon store was out of batteries when I needed one.  so I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQG2XNC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage to ensure I'd get an OEM battery.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

I haven't really noticed an improvement with the 5.1.1 update, but I haven't let the phone do a full charge cycle (drain and charge). After I do that: if it's better, I'm happy; if it's the same I'm getting a new battery. You can get Anker batteries for about $13US on Amazon. They're supposed to be really good.

0 Likes
kiwiguy

I had exactly the same issue with everything that you described, including the constant rebooting once it dropped to 20%. I bought a new battery from Walmart and put it in - and it immediately solved the issue.

Therefore it is likely that it is your battery that is bad, not the phone. If you know anyone with a Note 4 you could try swapping batteries for a few days to see if that is the culprit.

0 Likes
llamee
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have two on the way from Amazon - should be here tomorrow.  I'll post results.  Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LLamee, we want to make sure that your battery lasts.  I have read that you have purchased batteries and you let us know the results. Please keep us updated because we want to make sure that you phone is in tip top shape.
AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes