Next Closest Equivalent to Note7
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

From what I've seen so far, the next closest thing to a Note7 in terms of hardware is the ZTE Axon 7, so I'm wondering, why isn't Verizon fast-tracking that to make it available?  Or better yet, allow it as a BYOP without all the Verizon garbage, crippleware & malware?  Seems like the only feature lacking is a stylus, which is still a big deal for many, but otherwise equal in terms of processor, display, memory capacity, RAM, & external SD slot capacity.  Maybe not as capable in the camera though.  And if you get it, Verizon, please don't cripple its menu like you did to the Note7.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Next Closest Equivalent to Note7
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless can't fast track anything if the manufacturer doesn't make it compatible in the first place. The ZTE phones are not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network.

Why isn't the Pixel XL not a contender? It is similar in size and hardware. It is also running a newer version of the Android OS and will definitely receive updates faster and longer than the Note 7 ever would if the recall and subsequent cancelation hadn't happened.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless can't fast track anything if the manufacturer doesn't make it compatible in the first place. The ZTE phones are not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network.

Why isn't the Pixel XL not a contender? It is similar in size and hardware. It is also running a newer version of the Android OS and will definitely receive updates faster and longer than the Note 7 ever would if the recall and subsequent cancelation hadn't happened.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tc2013
Contributor - Level 1

question:  will PixelXL get update directly from google? (like Apple's)

Or through Verizon (involving delays + bloatware)?

0 Likes
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

Pixel is immediately disqualified in my book if it has no external memory card slot to expand storage up to 256GB.

I read somewhere that the Axon was tested in Verizon & worked fine.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

tc2013 wrote:

question: will PixelXL get update directly from google? (like Apple's)

Or through Verizon (involving delays + bloatware)?

Update: Verizon says its Pixels will get updates at the same time as Google’s | Ars Technica

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

There are reports of an already active Verizon SIM being put in the Axon 7 and people are seeing it function with a few "quirks" Therefore it is not fully compatible but can be made to work. However since it is not fully compatible, it cannot be recommended on an official Verizon site. You may want to read some of the quirks on sites such as xda developers and decide if it is worth it to you to put up with them and knowing you will not have support from Verizon.

Also look here for information from another member on this forum

ZTE Axon 7

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you need 256 GB of extra storage?

Weth
Legend

Ann154 wrote:

Why do you need 256 GB of extra storage?

Especially in 2016 - all your "stuff" should be in the cloud, you don't need it locally. Unless you need 320 GB of apps, which seems rather excessive.

0 Likes
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

Weth seems to know what is best for everyone.

I require lots of storage locally without  total dependence on cloud storage & data plans.  Sorry if this doesn't fit your concept, but this is true for many users.

It's unfortunate if the Axon isn't compatible with Verizon, but maybe a good reason to switch to T-Mobile.

Weth
Legend

Laugh once in a while. Truth is the reliance on local storage is much less important in 2016 than it was 5 years ago. Of course I appreciate everyone has individual needs and you should always get what fits your needs. However, I do think you will see less and less phones with add on storage due to the increasing ubiquity of cloud storage.

0 Likes