Lollipop Destroyed Phone Functionality
SamsungGirl76

I recently upgraded to Lollipop on my Galaxy Note 3.  The upgrade almost immediately removed all ability to connect to LTE or use the phone even as an actual phone.  The phone has a difficult time staying connected to a network and I now often see messages that say "emergency calls only" or "searching for service" The strangest thing I saw was right after the update my phone said ATT in the corner!! I was also vacationing in Maine, and the phone connected to the Rogers Network in Canada.  It's also switching itself to Global Mode.  I went to the Verizon Store I always go to, and I had already done a system restore not realizing that it wouldn't remove the OS update.  After the counter person told me "I have an old phone" (I still have 5 months on my contract) their solution was to put me on the phone with Samsung customer service for 30 minutes.  Samsung told me to go to Best Buy to have a tech "reflash" the phone to remove the OS upgrades.  The Verizon store then basically told me there was nothing else they could do but sell me a new phone. Based on my web searches and the message boards here, this is a problem for many of us!  Another poster commented that he hopes he doesn't have to use 911.  I feel the same way.  I did a system restore and the Verizon software upgrade/update with my PC.  I've  been a Verizon customer for 13 years and use VZW for both my personal and business phones.  This experience is causing me to look for other carriers.  My phone worked fabulously before this update and now it's basically useless.  What can be done to fix this?

0 Likes
Re: Lollipop Destroyed Phone Functionality
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
SamsungGirl76,

Software updates should be helping your device out, not making them worse. This should definitely not be going on with your Note 3. We do appreciate all of the troubleshooting steps you have taken. Is there any physical damage to the device: cracks, water, corrosion? I know you mentioned you have 5 more months on your contract which means your device is past the one year warranty. Do you know, though, if you have any extended coverage/insurance on your phone? You can always check this in your My Verizon account online or the app.

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SamsungGirl76

I have taken immaculate care of this device...Always a case and a glass screen protector.  No dropping or moisture. I have had insurance on every new device I've ever had from Verizon.  For some reason it apparently wasn't added when I purchased the phone.   The issues happened as soon as I installed Lollipop.  The phone worked perfectly prior.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The phone taking a turn for the worse after the software update is definitely unexpected, SamsungGirl76. We appreciate you completing the legwork at the store and through talking to Samsung directly as well.  We want you to know that you are valued as a customer, and we do not want you to leave us.  The options as to how to overcome this hurdle this will be to activate a new device or visit a Samsung representative at Best Buy to get the phone repaired.

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Jhahn01
Contributor - Level 1

Buy a Note 4 like the rest of us had to.  They will break it too with updates...