Location bug on Note 9 makes using location annoying
Leggi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Note sure if it is on purpose or just a bug because phone is young yet… but using phone location can be very annoying. It happens mostly when putting location in GPS only mode. However most of the time the phone will not even remember if it was on “high accuracy” or “GPS only” last time. When I leave it on hight accuracy or GPS only, next time I turn on location it is not on the mode I selected last time. Example I agree to high accuracy from GPS only, next time I turn off and turn on the location I’m ask again if I want to improve accuracy. But why force on user high accuracy anyway? And now about the annoying part when on GPS only location I’m given many disclaimers every time I turn on location example below:

1. Location content….
  2. Improve location accuracy … I click dissager or agree does not matter it will pop up next time I turn on location but it happens on random sometime it will some times it will not.
  3. Then in google maps I’m ask again if I want to turn on Wifi scanning

Really? 3 disclaimer without option  “don’t ask me again”. Is it a bug or somebody just want to make Galaxy Note 9 experience less pleasant? On My Note 4 and Galaxy S7 (unbranded) I was just able to turn on or off location and I was ready to go without annoying disclaimers

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Location bug on Note 9 ? make using location annoying ?
Leggi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually the problem was caused by google app. After google fixed their app the problem despaired. I still it would be nice if Verizon would add an option to their location popup: “don’t show it again” I understand that your compliance department this it is important but in reality nobody reads it and it makes worse user experience. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i wonder if it's turning off when it goes into doze mode.

settings/notifications/advanced....you may be able to keep gps from going to sleep.

0 Likes
Leggi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I checked settings/notifications/advanced but I’m not finding GPS related stuff

I think this is Oreo itself doing that, I looked and my wife’s Note 9 and it is doing the same. I also checked my unbranded S7 and it is also doing the same minus the  Location content which is clearly added by Verizon and could use don’t show it again option.

So when I turn on and off ..location I get:

The Location is randomly set between “High accuracy” and “Phone only”(just want to mention that my battery is full) and when randomly is set to phone only I get “Improve location accuracy (second pop up) and does not matter what I select agree or disagree it will again randomly select location mode the next time I turn on or off the location.

Either it is Oreo bug or google wants to be annoying so people never shut of the location.

I don’t like to have location enabled and wifi scanning for location because it uses the battery

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i only have location enabled if i need it right then, otherwise it's off on note5.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's definitely worrying to see that you're unable to adjust the location services on your devices properly specially after the recent software update. We want to make sure that we provide you with the necessary troubleshooting steps in order to get this issue resolved for all of your devices. We've attached a link that will guide you through the process, so you can reset all settings on your devices. This should bring the settings back to default. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-218976/

Geovann_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Leggi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually the problem was caused by google app. After google fixed their app the problem despaired. I still it would be nice if Verizon would add an option to their location popup: “don’t show it again” I understand that your compliance department this it is important but in reality nobody reads it and it makes worse user experience. 

0 Likes