Re: Kitkat 4.4.2 Note II is horriable and WILL NOT WORK
cgage823
Contributor - Level 1

Well.  I too have issues with the update. Battery drain, it won't charge past 81%, and it likes to tell me that the docking station is plugged in all the time, when it is no even on a charger.  Among other things as well.

I guess they were trying to send out a replacement, however warranty is up..... So guess what! Unless I want to Edge up, I am stuck with a phone that is pretty much useless.  The kicker is, the phone performed flawlessly before the update. So, me the consumer is paying the penalty for an update that was forced upon me, from Samsung and verizon. So,

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

1) A hard reset may help. 

You have to wipe your phone clean after you backup everything.  And then re-install all of your apps.  Start with the basic apps and see if you see better performance.  Slowly install your games and other 3rd party the other apps until you notice any performance changes.  Some apps may not be compatible now and will cause performance issues. 

2)  You want to make sure that ALL of your apps are UPDATED.  Even stock apps you don't use, can't uninstall, and you may not like the permissions, still update them. Then turn them off in Application Manager. 

3)  Contact Samsung Technical Support for the latest Kit Kat patches if there are any.  I had a battery drain and wifi problems after update and Samsung had a patch.  If you are coming from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat, know that Kit Kat works completely differently than Jelly Bean in terms of security and permissions and OTA (over the air) updates can cause performance issues. 

Samsung has Kiosk stores that will re-install the Kit Kat operating system by downloading directly to the phone instead of OTA, which can correct some problems. 

SAMSUNG TECH SUPPORT 1-800-726-7864

0 Likes
cgage823
Contributor - Level 1

The only thing I haven't done yet, is stop by best buy to have Samsung reps, re - flash the update.  Will be making time this weekend to do that. If that doesn't work, I'm will be at a lose as everything else has been done.

Having been through all these steps already from my note 3 update, b I has done them all before calling tech support.  That's why they wanted to immediately send out a replacement,  but of course out of warranty so they won't do it...

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

cgage823 wrote:

Well.  I too have issues with the update. Battery drain, it won't charge past 81%, and it likes to tell me that the docking station is plugged in all the time, when it is no even on a charger.  Among other things as well.

I guess they were trying to send out a replacement, however warranty is up..... So guess what! Unless I want to Edge up, I am stuck with a phone that is pretty much useless.  The kicker is, the phone performed flawlessly before the update. So, me the consumer is paying the penalty for an update that was forced upon me, from Samsung and verizon. So,

Hopefully this will be the last time you install an update on a phone (especially one out of warranty) before doing the research. Had you done the research you would have seen that this update was bricking and ruining phones.  I doubt you would have wanted to install it.   Let this be a good lesson.  After seeing the tons of problems you should have chosen to root the device and block the install.  You'd still have a beautifully working device and you'd be happy. 

Next time you'll know better.  Trust me.  You only make this mistake once

0 Likes
cgage823
Contributor - Level 1

Trust me I tried to stop the update.  After what I went through with my note 3, I wasn't about to do it again. 

When I tried to stop it, or "delay" before I could get the update off, it had already downloaded.  I tried to do a hard reset prior to the software going through the full update. However it wouldn't let me do that either. 

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

I made the same mistake too---once.  Now I know better.

As soon as it downloads the update, postpone the install for 23 hours, research the update. If it has good reviews, install it.  If it is a nightmare like this install,  then root the device to get administrative access, and then rename the system update files to stop the installation.  Your phone is already out of manufacturer warranty. 

If you get a another Note without the Kit Kat update on it, you may want to consider rooting it asap.  I think you'd be happier with its performance with Jelly Bean.  I know I am. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cgage823 We don;t want you to give up on your device. We apologize for the issues you're experiencing since the update. When you say that all troubleshooting has been completed, does this include testing the phone in Safe Mode?  http://vz.to/1nkrLMf

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
cgage823
Contributor - Level 1

Yup it sure has

0 Likes
JackCTU

I had the same problems as all the others with my Note 2 with the 4.4.2 kit kat update.  Everything took longer compared to the 4.3 Jellybean version and battery life was horrible fully charged at 8:30 am and down to 35% by 12:00 noon sitting on my desk with one exchange account set to push email.  The same configuration on my Iphone 5 would result in 85% battery left at 12:00 noon.

Tried everything that was suggested and got exasperate, called customer service and they sent me a new replacement with 4.3 Jellybean.  Now things are quick again and battery is around at 90% by 12:00 noon.  That's more like it.

My conclusion, don't take the update if it asks to update and stay on 4.3

0 Likes
cgage823
Contributor - Level 1

You will eventually have to take the update. It will push through without permission. It happened to me.

0 Likes