Is the recall mandatory?
Eroc52

I purchased my Galaxy Note 7 on September 28, 2016 and have not had any issues.

Should return it for another one?

- Earl Wilson

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is the recall mandatory?
Doing_work_son
Contributor - Level 1

Earl, the recall is not necessarily mandatory, but there's a good chance you've got a unit with a battery that has and or could have issues with the cell in the battery. Is it possible nothing will ever happen? Sure, but it's best to be safe and not sorry. Take a look at the back for your Note7, at the very bottom of your phone, do you see "made in Korea" or "made in Vietnam"? If so, you should definitely trade it in for a new Note7. These are the Note7's using the faulty Samsung SDI batteries. I myself have one that's "made in Korea" and will be sure to get a brand new Note7 that's "made in China" as it uses a battery packaged by ATL. Samsung SDI batteries were used in 70% of the shipped 2.5 million Note7's, 30% were from ATL. So as soon as Verizon has the new Note7's in stock, I'll be swapping my wife's Note7 and mine for the new batch. I sure hope Verizon in some way notifies us as soon as possible, via email, phone or text. We shouldn't have to spend our time coming to the store trying to see if we can get the phone exchanged when we are there. The whole recall has been rather vague in regards to how it will work for those that just want a brand new batch of Note7 that doesn't have a battery issue. How will it work for those of us who pre ordered the phone and had it delivered? Do we contact Verizon customer service and have it shipped back? Do we bring it in to a store? Hopefully they provide more information real soon that lays out a very detailed game plan and all of Verizon's employees are on the same page and informed as how to make this whole process a breeze for anyone who has a Note7 and is looking for a new one without the battery issue. Any Verizon reps that could answer these questions would be greatly appreciated! Hope this helps you make an informed decision Earl.

View solution in original post

bearone21
Legend

sep 28, 2016, really.......today is sep 5th, 2016

if it's not getting hot, i would......maybe you got one of the replacement phones.

0 Likes
KRCO1991

Considering the Forbes article that this problem is bigger than the supposed 35 cases I would absolutely exchange your device.  Better safe than sorry.  More Than 1.6M Galaxy Note 7s Could Have Bad, Explosion-Prone Battery

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The news outlets plus mass hysteria paranoia and sue happy complainers will blow anything out of proportion.

0 Likes
Doing_work_son
Contributor - Level 1

Earl, the recall is not necessarily mandatory, but there's a good chance you've got a unit with a battery that has and or could have issues with the cell in the battery. Is it possible nothing will ever happen? Sure, but it's best to be safe and not sorry. Take a look at the back for your Note7, at the very bottom of your phone, do you see "made in Korea" or "made in Vietnam"? If so, you should definitely trade it in for a new Note7. These are the Note7's using the faulty Samsung SDI batteries. I myself have one that's "made in Korea" and will be sure to get a brand new Note7 that's "made in China" as it uses a battery packaged by ATL. Samsung SDI batteries were used in 70% of the shipped 2.5 million Note7's, 30% were from ATL. So as soon as Verizon has the new Note7's in stock, I'll be swapping my wife's Note7 and mine for the new batch. I sure hope Verizon in some way notifies us as soon as possible, via email, phone or text. We shouldn't have to spend our time coming to the store trying to see if we can get the phone exchanged when we are there. The whole recall has been rather vague in regards to how it will work for those that just want a brand new batch of Note7 that doesn't have a battery issue. How will it work for those of us who pre ordered the phone and had it delivered? Do we contact Verizon customer service and have it shipped back? Do we bring it in to a store? Hopefully they provide more information real soon that lays out a very detailed game plan and all of Verizon's employees are on the same page and informed as how to make this whole process a breeze for anyone who has a Note7 and is looking for a new one without the battery issue. Any Verizon reps that could answer these questions would be greatly appreciated! Hope this helps you make an informed decision Earl.

Eroc52

As suggested, I check the country of origin for the battery, it was made in Korea.

So, I should definitely get the replacement phone.

Good looking out.!!!

0 Likes
lonestar614
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wouldn't leave it to chance. When Verizon has the replacement stock of Note7 phones available, make sure to exchange it.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

If you ever go to sell and it is a pre-recall unit, you may have a harder time selling or get much less for it. 

If if you give it to someone (or sell it) and it catches fire after transfer of ownership, you could be sued for selling a known defective and dangerous product. 

As as everyone else has said, exchange it

0 Likes