Re: I don't have "Global" or "CDMA" as choices for prefered network
DMathews1
Contributor - Level 3

Eric-

Thank you for your reply. Fi mentioned earlier in this thread,  my phone is one of the latest Samsung phones, Verizon-Samsung s20+ so it does have a Global network setting. 

My original question had to do with whether one network setting has advantages over the other... I'm particularly interested which one, if any, would turn off 5g on my phone so that my GPS "might work better" until Samsung/Google comes up with a patch that solves the problem that S20 and S10 users have been experiencing.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You can think of Global as an automatic mode, and will work to keep the phone connected in most places. In cases where it doesn't work, we might change this option to the local network. CDMA is a US network technology and supports the LTE network here, so they may appear together. The best one to use is the one that allows the most reliable signal for your phone in that area.

ZakC_VZW

0 Likes
DMathews1
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for your reply, but the one question I asked remains unanswered:

"I'm particularly interested which one, if any, would turn off 5g on my phone so that my GPS might work better" 

So, do any of the choices other than Global, turn off the 5G on my phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CDMA is an old network type that is currently in the process of being retired. If you were to switch your device to CDMA you would lose 5G connectivity. Since we are retiring the old CDMA network, you may also experience overall service issues if you swapped from Global.

0 Likes
DMathews1
Contributor - Level 3

So, when the setting on my phone says LTE (which is 4g)/CDMA you are telling me this could end up being lousy service??? - - What's the easiest way for me to determine the signal strength of my phone reception/data when trying to determine the overall effect of switching from one mode to another?

As I mentioned, if GPS was working properly on my s20+ I would not be resorting to changing network settings on my phone.  Some people have said by turning off 5G, it seems to fix their problem with GPS.  - - I'm sure eventually a software/patch update will fix the GPS problem.  But in the meantime, I'd like to have my GPS working.   Thanks!

0 Likes
Id Re: I don't have "Global" or "CDMA" as choices for prefered network
DMathews1
Contributor - Level 3

Is anyone able to answer my question above???

0 Likes
Re: Id I don't have "Global" or "CDMA" as choices for prefered network
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure the GPS functions proprly is essential. You asked which setting to select to disable 5G service. Is that correct? If so, Go to Settings, Connections, Mobile Networks, Network Mode and select LTE/CDMA if you do not want to access 5G. We can't guarantee a particular setting will resolve the GPS issue without troubleshooting. Share details about the GPS issue. Which apps are you using that are experiencing problems? 

0 Likes
Re: Id I don't have "Global" or "CDMA" as choices for prefered network
DMathews1
Contributor - Level 3

I am using the same gps apps that 80% of the U.S. use:  Waze and/or Google Maps (both owned by Google).    I don't know when or how the GPS problem with Samsung S20 phones and other Samsung phones will get resolved.  It's a hassle not being able to rely on either program due to the GPS locking up/turning off...

And if turning off 5G doesn't affect my phone service, I don't mind doing so, especially since probably 95% of the country doesn't have 5G service with Verizon... we surely don't have it where I am, and I'm only 30 minutes from the Technology Capital of the World, Silicon Valley...

Thanks for your reply.

0 Likes