How do I reactivate voice to text?
tinmanrusted
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I just purchased my Note 4 last week..everything has been working fantastically on it thus far..Except about 2 days ago, when I went to text somebody in the normal "Messages" app, the little microphone icon to do voice to text that's usually right between the "Sym" button and comma button mysteriously disappeared. Has anybody else had this issue??

I went into 2 different Verizon stores today and none of the associates were of any assistance. One of them told me to try re-downloading the Google Keyboard and/or Google Voice apps, but neither did anything. I haven't changed any of the settings for my text messaging or keyboard..so I have NO idea what happened. I've tried restarting the phone, restoring the settings, etc. Any suggestions?? Thanks! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to reactivate voice to text?
tinmanrusted
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I found a post from somebody else who was having the same issue as me from 2013, and ironically their solution actually worked! Copy & pasted below (from this post: Re: Samsung S5 microphone failing😞

"I had the same problem, missing microphone while trying to voice type a text message.

I found out that I needed to enable/ update the app "Google Search."

Go the the Play Store and search for "Google Search" and enable/ update it.

Then, go to your language and input settings to make sure "Google Voice Typing" is checked and the settings are how you would like."

Thanks for the assistance guys! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Jay_M_
Contributor - Level 2

Did you check the Input Settings for your keyboard?

0 Likes
tinmanrusted
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup, I have the Google Keyboard set as my default..and when I go into the settings --> preferences for it, the last option where it says "Voice input key" is greyed out, so I'm unable to check/uncheck it.

0 Likes
Jay_M_
Contributor - Level 2

open a new message so the keyboard comes up, then swipe down from the top, it should ask you to choose the input method, and you want to choose Samsung Keyboard.

0 Likes
tinmanrusted
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Samsung Keyboard is the one that I originally had selected as my default, but the Speech To Text button is still missing (which is why I tried switching it to the Google one)..

0 Likes
Jay_M_
Contributor - Level 2

Oh I see. are there any buttons in place of where your Speech to Text button was originally? Or is there any new button on your keyboard?

0 Likes
tinmanrusted
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just the Gear (settings) button..and if I click it or hold it down, it just brings up my emoticons button, the gear settings button (to edit the settings), the clipboard button, the keyboard window button (to make the keyboard bigger/smaller), and the handwrite to text button.

0 Likes
Jay_M_
Contributor - Level 2

Oh wow. That is actually quite perplexing, hahah. Maybe someone knows what's going on? o.O

0 Likes
tinmanrusted
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're tellin' me! lol..One of the guys in the Verizon store even compared my Note side by side to his and his was completely fine. I have no idea what happened! I just woke up the other day and the Speech To Text button was literally gone. I hope that there's a way to bring it back because I have chronic pain in my hands + wrists, so it's a necessity for me to use while I'm texting! Smiley Sad

0 Likes
Jay_M_
Contributor - Level 2

Ouch! So sorry to hear that. Did you try downloading Google text to Speech from Play Store? Speech to Text by AppGalaxy is really good, maybe that would work?

0 Likes