How do I disable data but not wifi?
dgoodmn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm in an area for a few days with no verizon cell service but do have wifi. The samsung galaxy note 4 quickly drains the battery while trying to find cell service. How can I turn off just the cellular radio and stop the battery drain without turning off wifi also?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How disable cellular radio but not wifi?
Snn5
Legend

Turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi.  Wifi will work, mobile data and calling and texting will not work.  If you are having battery drain because you are in a fringe signal area, that would explain things.  Turning off mobile data alone will help, but airplane with wifi is best, if you're ok with no calls and texts.

View solution in original post

B33
Legend

You can put it into Airplane Mode.!   If tap your settings wheel you'll then see options find the cellular one tap on it and then you'll come to Data Usage or something similar tap Mobile Data you'll see a pop-up  continue in shutting it Down until you want it back on..

Mobile Data.png

dgoodmn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks but unfortunately airplane mode turns off wifi also. I'll try the

mobile data off option and check the battery drain

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi.  Wifi will work, mobile data and calling and texting will not work.  If you are having battery drain because you are in a fringe signal area, that would explain things.  Turning off mobile data alone will help, but airplane with wifi is best, if you're ok with no calls and texts.

B33
Legend

Yup because the Radio in the phone is working harder to keep in touch the Tower or Towers if there's more in the area but are also at a Distance..

dgoodmn
Enthusiast - Level 2

B33 - thanks. I didn't know you could turn on wifi after enabling airplane

mode. I thought all radios were disabled collectively in airplane mode. But

your suggestion worked.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well mine and Snn5 group effort here.. I'm glad it did the Trick  I met solve the issue   b

Snn5
Legend

Welcome Smiley Happy

dgoodmn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Indeed. Thank you all!