How Do I Read A VZM File Once Uploaded To My PC?
ziwenliu

I need to backup a conversation thread. on my handset, I saved it to a VZM file which I ccan see when connected to my PC. but how can I read it?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: how to read a vzm file
jcl197

Most likely the file is actually an XML file.

You should be able to open it in a web browser, or you can use a text editor to open it.

easiest thing is to rename the file extension to .html and then when you double click a web browser will display the contents

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

An alternative is to use a text backup app, such as  SMS Backup & Restore - Android Apps on Google Play

Re: How Do I Read A VZM File Once Uploaded To My PC?
HeraldHerd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, we can backup the Messages to a VZM file, and we can email them to a PC or keep them on the cellphone... how can we read them????? the datetime is encoded in the Epoch timestamp format, and is wholly unreadlable by humans... this doesnt do any good as a backup or to share a text converstation.

Any 3d party programs to read and parse the VZM file resolving the Epoch timestamp?

Thanks

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We sincerely understand your concerns and we want to help you as much as possible, HeraldHerd. We need to know exactly what you did in order to check for options to assist you. You mention that you backed up messages to a VZW file, how did you do this?

Do you have those messages saved to the Verizon Cloud (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-cloud-faqs/)?

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes
HeraldHerd
Enthusiast - Level 1

i used this set of commands,https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-51235/

Verizon Messages - Android™ - Save Message to SD (Memory) Card
  1. From a Home screen, tap the Apps icon.
  2. Tap Message+.
  3. Touch and hold a message.
  4. Tap Save Messages.
  5. Tap the up arrow. (located in the upper-right corner) to access the desired save location and tap extSdCard.
  6. Edit the file name as preferred then tap Save.

I then copy the file off the Android onto my Win 10 PC. 

0 Likes
NameNotImportant
Enthusiast - Level 1

I followed the same instructions, which are right there on the phone.  Now it seems like I've lost all my saved text messages because there isn't any proper instructions on how to open them back up after they are saved.

0 Likes
NameNotImportant
Enthusiast - Level 1

This would have been helpful prior to saving the text message per VZW instructions than deleting the text message as I thought it was backed up. 

0 Likes
jmedi

I changed .vzm to .txt and notepad opened the file with the messages intact, but the message and time coding are ridiculous. I can do the same by changing it to .html and opening it in a web browser. 

0 Likes
kh_jenn

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic. Thank you.

0 Likes