Horrible battery life with Oreo
kaybracon
Contributor - Level 1

My wife and I both bought Note 8's less than 2 weeks ago.  I immediately updated to Oreo; she hasn't yet.  My battery life is horrible.  I've been off the charger for 2 hours, and I'm down to 64%.  Hers isn't great, but her phone can last all day.  I've disabled background data for a lot of apps, but that doesn't seem to help. 

It appears that there are a lot of other people having issues with Oreo/Note8 battery life.  Do I have any options, other than returning the phone for a warranty replacement and not upgrading the new phone to Oreo?

Re: Horrible battery life with Oreo
bearone21
Legend

check settings/lock screen/notifications....you may be getting more notifications/data use, than you want!!

kaybracon
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, but I'm not getting that many; I have most of them turned off, just as I had with my previous phone.  My wife gets many notifications, and again, she has decent battery life.

kaybracon
Contributor - Level 1

I did a factory reset yesterday and wiped the cache partition.  Battery life is stil worthless. I'm down to 57% after 2 hours. 

I'm going to exchange this phone as defective and not do the Oreo update on the replacement.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I rely on my battery to last and definitely want you to have a battery you can rely on, IalreadyHaveAnAccount. We'd like to take a closer look into this and figure out what's going on. Please complete a device health check here, http://spr.ly/6586DeT9Q. Please advise of any areas not showing correct. Also, ensure you are closing out apps when not in use, http://spr.ly/6587DeT9v. Has there been any damage to the phone? 

DanielleR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

When you go into settings-battery-battery usage what does it say in there that is using up the battery?

kaybracon
Contributor - Level 1

The phone has no damage.  It is essentially brand new. 

Then only "issue" shown in the health check is that I have location services turned on. I've had these enabled on my previous phones.  My wife's Note 8 with Nougat has them enabled.  Battery life on those phones is acceptable.

I'm curious about your advise to close out unused apps, as this runs directly counter to established operating wisdom for Android: "Swiping away apps from recent tasks kills the process of those apps, thus prevent them from being cached in memory. When you launch them later, it takes longer time and much more CPU cycles to create the process and re-initialize the app runtime."

Is this actually Verizon's advise?

I have disabled most apps from using background data.  Other than this, I'm running my phone in the same configuration I have for previous versions of Android.

bearone21
Legend

depends how the phone was being used for the 2 hours!!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the information, IalreadyHaveAnAccount. It seems that you had completed a lot of troubleshooting steps, going as far as to wiping the device out to its factory state. When this was done, did you restore all your current information, like restoring your apps and other personal info back onto your phone after the phone was reset? Have you tested your device out in safe mode after the reset to see if the issue persists or not? 

JoeyM_VZW            

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes