Having GPS connection issues after Lollipop update on Galaxy Note 3, 4?
bcsmith488
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone for about 6 months, and ever since the Lollipop update have been having GPS connection issues. I have had my Note 4 replaced once for this issue by filing a claim with Verizon's warranty.

Nearly every time I turn my location services on in order to navigate somewhere, the phone fails to find my location. If it does happen to find my location and I start to navigate, it will quickly lose signal again and say "GPS signal lost". Yes, I have the mode set to "High Accuracy". I have also tried doing a factory reset, removing the battery, SIM card, and MiroSD card, downloaded various apps that can calibrate the compass, as well as clear the Maps and GPS caches. None of these things have improved the phone's GPS performance.

This seems to be a software issue that has arisen in certain Samsung phones after updating to Adroid's lastest version, Lollipop. But this isn't being acknowledged by Google, Samsung, or Verizon, as there are not enough "like reproducible cases" in order for this to be considered a "known issue", even though it is. The cause for this is that too many users are going to public forums for help, rather than making a formal case to these companies. If you are a Note 3 or Note 4 user and have experienced this problem, please make a formal case to Verizon and Samsung so that this problem can be documented and addressed.

If anyone knows any more about this, please share!

Re: Having GPS connection issues after Lollipop update on Galaxy Note 3, 4?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bcsmith488, GPS is an important feature and let's work together on looking into a solution to this problem you are having. Are you using the Google Maps Application for navigation? Does this happen eveytime you start navigating? 

GersonG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bcsmith488
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I use the Google Maps app for navigation, and yes, it happens every time I start navigating.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I noticed that you mentioned turning on location services before starting the Navigation application. Is there a reason why you don't leave location services on all the time?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bcsmith488
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes. To avoid battery drain caused by other apps unnecessarily using the GPS in the background.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't notice any battery drain from leaving the gps on and I have a smaller battery then your phone does.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bcsmith488
Enthusiast - Level 2

That may be, but I would say that the drainage would be more dependent on the particular applications, and how many of them you have.

0 Likes
bcsmith488
Enthusiast - Level 2

Either way, battery drainage is not the issue here.

Back to your original question, Ann154 : Is there a reason you DO leave location services on all of the time? I mean, if whether or not the GPS is going to work is dependent on it being on 24/7, then they shouldn't even give the option to toggle it on/off.

My only wish here is that this finally catches the attention of these companies so that they can address the issue and provide helpful service to their customers in regards to it.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

However by leaving them on, you will actually get a faster lock on your location for navigation and other GPS dependant applications. For example instead of having to locate you in a new location from the last time you had gps on 500 miles away two weeks ago, it would have data from a reported location from 5 hours ago  of 5 miles from your current location.

0 Likes
bcsmith488
Enthusiast - Level 2

That also may be, but it still would not explain the issue I'm having. The issue that I'm having is NOT simply that my phone is taking a longer amount of time to obtain my location. The issue is that it DOES NOT find my location no matter how long I let it search, and/or cannot maintain my location when I am moving.

0 Likes