Galaxy Note 8 keeps shutting down on it's on. No warning at all.
brigetterad
Contributor - Level 1

My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 keeps shutting down on it's own and has been doing it for a few months, at least. I have to hold down two buttons outside the phone for 10 seconds to get it to power back up. Anyone else with this issue? Do I have a bad phone or what? I woke up this morning and it had shut down again while I was sleeping.  Also, I was talking on the phone a few days ago and the screen went black. I couldn't get it back on and I couldn't turn it off or on. I had my husband call it and all he got was ringing.. which I didn't hear. Smiley Sad  Help!

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Note 8 keeps shutting down on it's on. No warning at all.
brigetterad
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry... i do know how to spell.    On it's own!

brigetterad
Contributor - Level 1

I've been researching and I think i'm going to wipe the cache partition.  See if that does it.  Supposedly it gets rid of the "black screen of death" and other issues.  I read that we should be doing this after any updates and that it would not wipe out the apps or data..  just the unneeded junk.  I'm finding that this is happening to a lot of Note 8 phones.  Shame Samsung can't get it right.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Let us know if that worked. It does help with a number of problems that we have with our phones.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

brigetterad,

No one enjoys having their phone shut off on it's own. I've been there before too. Let's get this fixed for you right away, I'm here to help. Wiping the cache partition is a good step to take. Please keep us informed here on the results. Has your Note 8 been exposed to any liquid or physical damage? Is your device able to power on at all? What happens when you plug it into a charger?

JuanD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
brigetterad
Contributor - Level 1

It worked for a few weeks and then shut down in the middle of the day yesterday and then again last night while i was sleeping. Luckily I woke up before the alarm was to go off or I would have overslept. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
brigetterad
Contributor - Level 1

That lasted about 2 weeks and here I am again...  jacked up phone.   No damage at all to my phone.  I only download apps from the Google play Store...   No clue why it keeps doing this.  I'm even closing all the windows several times a day.  Is this a known issue with this phone? Maybe Samsung has a patch for it that I need to know about?  It shut down yesterday during the day and then last night while i was asleep.  Smiley Sad

brigetterad
Contributor - Level 1

I just checked and apparently Verizon has a system update for my phone.. from 1/1/18. I had no clue it was even there until i checked.  It's a security update and should have patches to fix screen freezes and a few others. It didn't say anything about a fix for the phone shutting down by itself.. but maybe it will help.  Can't believe how difficult it is to get an answer on why this is shutting down. 

brigetterad
Contributor - Level 1

I read through to the bottom and the update was "updated" on Jan 29. So I figure that's why i didn't see it until today.  I knew I had checked for updates when all of this was going on and thought it odd that i didn't see the update for Jan 1.  Hmm.  Maybe the patch wasn't available to me until Jan 29?  What would be nice is if Verizon would notify a phone when there is an update for a patch available. Sure would save time and grief.  However... still won't know if this patch fixes my situation for a while. I went two weeks without a shutdown last time.  Also, while i'm here,  I get a notification, from Samsung I think, telling me that i haven't restarted my phone in 7 days. I get this weekly. Is that normal? @JuanD_VZW

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bridgetterad, we do appreciate you working with us on this matter. Updates are pushed out to the device as soon as it is available. I apologize that your device did not give you notification that it was available for you to download. Keep us updated on how the device works after since your phone was just updated. With regards to getting notification from Samsung, this is odd. Are you using a health check app from Samsung? Where do you see this notification?

AlbertoR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes