Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

Please do leave an update on how it goes, and try the camera out for me Smiley Happy. I'm thinking about getting it and have an invite for Google Fi, but the camera is a pivot-point for me. If the pics ain't good, I won't get the phone.

0 Likes
mrfred
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sadly, I'm sure front line VZW customer reps have virtually no power to influence this kind of issue within the VZW structure.  I doubt their managers have any power either.  Its the policy maker managers who need to get the message.  Unfortunately, they probably have the mindset that everyone here is a bunch of whiners about some dumb update.  Seriously, I'd bet that 90% of smart phone users have no clue that VZW routinely rolls out their updates well after other carriers.  Hell, the avg person probably don't even know that there are updates to Android.  So perhaps the decision makers feel they can ignore the whining minority.  However, I wonder what fraction of us whiners make the household decision on phones and carriers and influence the decisions of our less techy friends.  From what I've read here, it sounds like we all are in charge for our households.  Something that may bite the decision makers in the butt soon.

Dear VZW reps - I know you're just doing your job, but your canned responses are just cannon fodder for this crowd.  Its quite effective at firing up the crowd and producing a rally.  I rather enjoy it, and to the policy makers' lack of comprehension, this is probably causing more harm to VZW than good by pushing people over the edge due to the clearly feined attempt by VZW of caring about this.  A safer CYA policy for the decision makers would be to tell the reps to keep quiet.  Or perhaps the policy makers could actually say something concrete such as whether VZW is even working on a 5.1.1 update.  But I'm sure there is a good reason for not saying anything like that.  Got me on what it could be though.

Tidbits
Legend

Well people want answers and keep pushing them... You can't blame them for giving canned responses. If people already knew they had so little power they'd know there is no point for threads like these...

0 Likes
SunsetSam

I guess it's time to come out of Lurk mode and interject some.  My Note 4 has a battery life of maybe 4 hours.  Bought a new battery, and same story.  I guess I just have to live with swapping batteries on what was once a premium phone.  Then there are the countless times the phone just locks up with a black screen requiring a battery pull to get it to work again.   Sometimes taking a photo causes this.  So, how is this a good situation?  I didn't ask for 5.0.1.  Lollipop 5.0 was bad but this is far worse.  So I read the forums that say, just wipe your cache.  Nope.  Well, just factory reset it...  nope didn't work and now I lost a lot of stuff that Kies didn't recover.  So, I did the unthinkable today and asked work for an AT&T phone so I can at least remain productive... and that is an iPhone 6.  Guess I will find a phone that works as it's supposed to on a carrier that actually has better coverage in Texas.  Oh, forgot to mention, I was with Verizon before they were Verizon.  20+ years.... four smartphones on the account and a hefty bill each month.  My DD wants a Note 4 and I am thinking of giving her mine and trading out her iPhone 5c and getting something else, but VZW doesn't sell the 6P.... ugh.  C'mon VZW - just release 5.1.1 to us so we have working phones over Christmas and give us Marshmallow in February....  enough already....

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why do you have to purchase a phone from Verizon Wireless? The Nexus 6P is available through the Google Store.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Toxicle, it's important to us that you have the best experience possible on your wireless phone. Software updates are sent to your device to improve the performance of it, implement new features, and remove old features. However, sometimes the update can conflict with 3rd party applications that you've downloaded from the Google Play market. As a result, it's recommended that you update the software for those applications too. Additionally, make sure that you uninstall any unwanted applications.

We hope that you reconsider your decision to leave and allow us to continue as your wireless provider. Please keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question plea�Correct the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Toxicle
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's just insulting.

I'm well aware of what software updates are for - in fact, I think most 13 year old children are aware of what they're for - does Verizon? Because this is a pretty broken update, with a fix, that has taken months without so much as a peep out of Verizon as to what they're going to do about it, after putting out a broken update without following up with a fix.

I'm losing track of how many times I've mentioned to VZW I've done everything that can actually be done without getting a new phone in terms of my Note 4 working properly with the 5.0.1 update.

I have done everything you can think of - redoing the update, having everything up to date, factory resets/wipes - which, you guessed it, means no apps to get in the way of an update. As I've mentioned to other VZW staff - do you know how infuriating it is to have a phone overheat and drain when only the DIALER is used? Last I checked that comes standard, on the phone, no 3rd party BS or whatever you're trying to put blame on.

So here we are again VZW representative. I have an issue, who's remedy is pretty cut and dry, and you're pointing out some of the most basic level, asinine "fixes' and ideas known - do you think myself, or anything here for that matter, hasn't tried even these most basic suggestions in the past - oh, I don't know, 4-6 months, ballpark, that this has been an issue?

I either need a new phone, or off the network. And seeing as how this isn't the only incident with poor service, and since most other networks are cheaper, it should be easy enough to figure out my plan of action as soon as I can drop the money I need to waste just to get off your poorly maintained network.

Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

Yup. Unfortunately (for Verizon) my family, who has been on Verizon for 20+ years, is in the final stages of switching to Sprint. We can't keep our phones, but having to pay half of what we do on Verizon, while the iPhone owners in our family can get a new one every year for $12, and actually having responsive, helpful and timely support is pretty great. On Verizon, we may have slightly more coverage than Sprint or AT&T, but Sprint gives us better coverage where we live, unlimited 2G data, and TIMELY UPDATES FOR OUR PHONES.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Unlimited 2g huh! Let us all know how that works out.

0 Likes
phone2012
Enthusiast - Level 2

i will leave Verizon as well after 14+ yrs. Verizon said that they have more coverage; but if you have the signal issue; verizon will said that your area is mariginal coverage. It is ridiculous. Of course, verizon does not care the customer whether customer leaves or not. It is really frustrated with service.