Features not working....unlocked
Mikem12572
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have an unlocked Note 20 ultra.  5g was not working, could not subscribe to call filter plus or visual voicemail, and no carrier billing on playstore. Flashed full verizon firmware (N986U) and got 5g to work. However call filter visual voicemail and carrier billing is still not working. Read that these features wont work on unlocked phone....but should work with carrier firmware correct? Or does it have to do with a unlocked sim.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Features not working....unlocked
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless exclusive features require a Verizon Wireless branded phone model.

Even some Verizon Wireless branded models don't have those exclusive features. Examples would be the iPhones and the Pixel phones. Neither of the iPhones or Pixels have the Verizon Visual Voicemail application installed. The iPhones use an iPhone specific visual voicemail system and the Pixel phones have their own visual voicemail option within the phone dialer application. Both of iPhone and Pixel voicemail systems are compatible with all the carriers. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It has more to do with the actual model of the phone plus the fact you now have modified the firmware from the original firmware. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Mikem12572
Enthusiast - Level 2

Went from sprint Sm-N986U to unlocked 986U1 firmware, and now on N986U VZW firmware. I am on official verizon firmware making it a verizon Sm-N986U now. So in theory everything should work fine

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even if you change the firmware, the FCC model and hardware model doesn't change. 

Mikem12572
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, in essence, if you bring your own phone, there is no access to these features no matter what i do short of buying a brand new verizon phone i cant afford? If thats the case there is no reason to stay with verizon. May as well port back to tmobile/sprint....would have never switched over if i knew i would have no access to essential features

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless exclusive features require a Verizon Wireless branded phone model.

Even some Verizon Wireless branded models don't have those exclusive features. Examples would be the iPhones and the Pixel phones. Neither of the iPhones or Pixels have the Verizon Visual Voicemail application installed. The iPhones use an iPhone specific visual voicemail system and the Pixel phones have their own visual voicemail option within the phone dialer application. Both of iPhone and Pixel voicemail systems are compatible with all the carriers. 

Mikem12572
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the answers. To me those are essential features so therefore i will be porting back to tmobile/sprint. Thank you.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Based on my resources. Carriers use different frequencies, bands, and air interface technologies to provide wireless network access/ Devices that work on one carrier's network may not be fully compatible with another carrier's network.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You're more than welcome as we want to keep you on the team. We'll be here for additional assistance if needed. 

0 Likes
Mikem12572
Enthusiast - Level 2

My point is, in my eyes the features that arent working are essential. They worked just fine on sprint and tmobile. I wamt to give you guys the benefit of the doubt, but someone needs to figure out a solution or im gonna have to go back to tmobile

0 Likes