Battery???
Gbktoledo
Contributor - Level 1

Now that 5.1.1 is finally installed the question is; How much damage to our batteries have done by months of over heating and fast discharge rate?  I have not noticed any real difference in battery life since my upgrade yesterday and am debating buying another battery from Verizon hoping for better battery life.  Any thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery???
Waimon
Contributor - Level 3

What I have done to help my battery is after upgrade I reset my phone and then updated all the apps I had on it and removed some of the ones that are a waste of space and installed what I wanted. After that turned off location which somehow got turned back on after update and reset. In the wifi settings if you turn off always scanning for wifi connections it will help with battery. And the one I see made the big difference was turn off where it looks for at&t hotspots. Hope that helps you it worked for and my battery life better now and getting better it seems everyday.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
llamee
Enthusiast - Level 3

You'll have to give it time and see.  I replaced mine with an Anker battery from Amazon.  After the update, my battery life was terrible.  If you're still having issues, I'd get a replacement.  With the new battery, my phone initially said I had about 12 hours or so.  Later on, it said 24.  I don't know how it works, but it seems to learn the new battery before giving an actual estimate.  I've only had the new battery for a day, but I think I'm already seeing an improvement.

0 Likes
sll1313
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also kept having problems with my battery.  I just received my Anker battery today.  I hope it is much better.  How has yours been working out?  Is your battery holding a charge like it used to?  I would be happy if it lasted from first thing in the morning until I charge it before I go to sleep.

0 Likes
Waimon
Contributor - Level 3

What I have done to help my battery is after upgrade I reset my phone and then updated all the apps I had on it and removed some of the ones that are a waste of space and installed what I wanted. After that turned off location which somehow got turned back on after update and reset. In the wifi settings if you turn off always scanning for wifi connections it will help with battery. And the one I see made the big difference was turn off where it looks for at&t hotspots. Hope that helps you it worked for and my battery life better now and getting better it seems everyday.

0 Likes
sll1313
Enthusiast - Level 3

I appreciate your reply.  With all due respect, I was curious on what llamee's experience was with the Anker Battery that he received.  I also appreciate tips to try and get better battery performance.  They are among the same tips along with others that I have read from numerous forums and articles.  However, I really would prefer not to do any of those ideas or others.  I paid a lot of money for this phone and all if it's features.  I shouldn't have to do any of those suggestions or the others that I am aware of.  I should be able to use all of those features and be able to obtain a good battery life like I did with kit kat 4.4.4., but thank you for your advice.

0 Likes
The_Sim
Contributor - Level 1

My battery was terrible -- I also blame 5.0.1 for a lot of that! It would pretty much die at around 40% these days. I just got a replacement OEM battery for $4.99 from ebay (it seems totally legit! Smiley Happy), and it works great so far.

0 Likes
nic_hitchins
Enthusiast - Level 3

Gbktoledo wrote:

.....and am debating buying another battery from Verizon hoping for better battery life.  Any thoughts?

Since I dumped my service with Verizon, I have a pretty new Samsung branded spare battery/charger combo that I bought at Best Buy.  Since everyone on the forums here have been great, I'd be willing to send it to a needing member.

Roxannefw
Enthusiast - Level 1

That would be great if you still have because I was thinking of buying one.

0 Likes
nic_hitchins
Enthusiast - Level 3

Roxannefw wrote:

That would be great if you still have because I was thinking of buying one.

Sure.  Look me up on Facebook and send me a private message.  I'd suggest doing the same here, but it doesn't look like there's an option for private messages.  (I should be the only "Nic Hitchins" that comes up)

0 Likes