Anyone else lose their 2 year pricing on the note 7 recall?
JOHTIM43
Enthusiast - Level 1

I waited for 2 years after purchasing the note 4 to take advantage of the price break on the note 7. Paid $300 online for the note 7 in August and had to change to the new Verizon plan. I exchanged the note 7 for a new note 7 in store during the original recall. Went to exchange my 2nd note 7 for an S7 edge online and am being told that I should treat the original purchase as though it never happened with respect to everything except the contract change. Verizon wants to refund me $300 for the original note 7 purchase but not reinstate my 2 year price break. Even with the $100 Samsung loyalty credit, I'll be out over $300 to "upgrade" to the S7 edge that they now want me to pay full retail price. Am I missing something?!?!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Anyone else lose their 2 year pricing on the note 7 recall?
rcschnoor
Legend

JOHTIM43 wrote:

Am I missing something?!?!

Yes you are. Verizon does not have 2 yr contract pricing on the Verizon Plan, regardless if you are exchanging a Note 7 or simply purchasing a new device from any other device. This has been in effect ever since the Verizon Plan was first introduced.

You may try making your purchase from Best Buy as they appear to still have discounted 2 yr service contract pricing for new devices. Of course, if you purchase a phone with discounted pricing in exchange for signing a new 2 yr service contract, your line access fee would remain at $40/month for the duration of your contract. THAT is an increase of $480 in the cost of your service over the 2yr lifetime of your contract.

You MAY want to consider purchasing on a Device Payment Plan. IF you take that $300(along with the $100 credit) you are being refunded on the Note 7 and place it as a down payment on a new S7 Edge, your monthly payment on that device for the next 2 yrs would only be $16.34 and when you add that to your $20 line access fee(for a total of $36.34), your monthly bill would DROP by $3.66. You would be paying the EXACT SAME right now and your line access fee + monthly phone cost($36.34) would be LESS than just your line access fee($40) if you purchase on contract.

Yes, you may be out over $300 if you purchase the S7 Edge in this manner, but you will be out over $400 in service cost if you purchase the device at the "discounted price".

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

JOHTIM43 wrote:

Am I missing something?!?!

Yes you are. Verizon does not have 2 yr contract pricing on the Verizon Plan, regardless if you are exchanging a Note 7 or simply purchasing a new device from any other device. This has been in effect ever since the Verizon Plan was first introduced.

You may try making your purchase from Best Buy as they appear to still have discounted 2 yr service contract pricing for new devices. Of course, if you purchase a phone with discounted pricing in exchange for signing a new 2 yr service contract, your line access fee would remain at $40/month for the duration of your contract. THAT is an increase of $480 in the cost of your service over the 2yr lifetime of your contract.

You MAY want to consider purchasing on a Device Payment Plan. IF you take that $300(along with the $100 credit) you are being refunded on the Note 7 and place it as a down payment on a new S7 Edge, your monthly payment on that device for the next 2 yrs would only be $16.34 and when you add that to your $20 line access fee(for a total of $36.34), your monthly bill would DROP by $3.66. You would be paying the EXACT SAME right now and your line access fee + monthly phone cost($36.34) would be LESS than just your line access fee($40) if you purchase on contract.

Yes, you may be out over $300 if you purchase the S7 Edge in this manner, but you will be out over $400 in service cost if you purchase the device at the "discounted price".

0 Likes
CARDEL80
Enthusiast - Level 2

We were able to get our new s7 Edge phones with the 2 year pricing in the store.  No problems there.  Still waiting for a box. 

There was a little tidbit on the Note 7 page that said to call Verizon or go to a store if you had a special situation.  The 2 year contract would be a special situation, I would think.

JOHTIM43
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks cardel80, I will try my luck in store.

Rcschnoor, my point was I had 2 year pricing on my old "more everything" plan and I knew this was probably the last time I would be able to use it since I would be forced into a new plan. If Verizon wants me to treat the note 7 purchase at if it never happened, i should be back on the old plan with one last 2 year pricing purchase. Instead, online at least, Verizon wants to undo everything except using my last 2 year pricing which would result in me paying an extra $300+ to replace a recalled phone.

Weth
Legend

Are you taking into consideration you line access charges will be $15 or $25 more per month (up to $600 more!) getting 2 year contract?  2 year contract usually ends up being more expensive on More Everything. 

0 Likes
CARDEL80
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not true.  We calculated it out before going with the 2 year contract.  We don't use enough data.

0 Likes
rosannem_vzw
Verizon Employee

CARDEL80, we want to be sure you are on the best plan. Let's take a closer look. I have sent you a Private Message to begin.

RosanneM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes