Re: Anyone else having Call Quality issues?
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

I wonder if it's do to what's running in the background that's hogging your memory.....IDK about you all, but I really like Clean Master, it frees up memory among other things....I know when I had to reset my phone 10/30 to factory settings, as soon after the reboot, all my apps started downloading....the phone really got hot, Samsung had me stop this and use Kies3 restore....so what if your memory is low and forcing the phone to create virtual memory as w/ a pc using physical space.....just a thought.......

SamChieftan

Hi Everyone, Just thought I would post an update. I am in somewhat of a remote area, BUT my iPhone 4 had NO trouble at my location for data or ANY calls.  The Note 3 call quality is alot better since the update, but only about 20% comparision to the original iPhone 4 quality.  Even with voice-mail I have to replay a few times to make out the conversation. When I am in the city with FULL BARS the conversation and call quality is the same as when at home.

I am however still continually getting CALL LOST all the time. I have usually 3 or 4 bars on the unit, and it just drops the call.  It is enough that I do not even try and use the phone as a phone, and I have been using my wife's older LG phone for making calls.  I really do love the NOTE 3, but I am sure wondering what is the difference why some people are getting a  perfect phone as compared to some of us with inherent problems?  I am in the Dallas, Texas area, so I am assuming my Verizon phone is from the same batch area as the Fort Worth Batch.  I am sure if I could get the dropped call ... "CALL LOST" fixed I would certainly be happier.

I thought about getting the Extender, but I did not need one before, and it has to be connected to the internet to work; which I think defeats the purpose. It would be great to have the phone if the internet connection to my house was lost, not the other way around.  I wish there was some way to enable wi fi calling like T Mobile, that would really help.  I have used Skype a few times, and the difference is day as to night in call quality over regular cell conversations.

Hope they can fix these issues with a newer update.

0 Likes
LShan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will look into that thank you.

0 Likes
Michael_S
Enthusiast - Level 3

cynindesign, I meant I am probably fairly close. Just a few miles south of the Kansas border.

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

I had dropped calls w/ my GNex, but not Note 3.....I've had no issues w/ the Note 3.....

0 Likes
Michael_S
Enthusiast - Level 3

The following are steps I performed after the upgrade that helped my Note 3 call quality and wifi drop outs. My Note 3 that was upgraded via the OTA method improved ~20% and my other Note 3 that I updated using my pc and Kies 3 improved ~50%. This is still unacceptable but I was trying everything I could to get a usable phone.

I am NOT recommending that anyone do this, nor do I know if you will experience any improvement. If you perform these steps make sure you are fully backed up because it WILL reset your phone to a factory reset state. Samsung uses Odin software built into your phone that you can use to perform a factory reset. In theory it should be the same as using the settings factory reset option but my results via this method were better for some unknown reason. In addition the phones improved slightly each day for up to 3 days of usage and daily power cycling, then leveled out at the very approximate improvement % noted above. Even though Samsung has limited the Note 3's Odin options to minimize a user damaging the phone DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. Turn your phone off.

2. With the phone off, press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key, after a couple of seconds you will see blue writing in the upper left corner as it is entering Odin's Android recovery, then release the power button and then the home and volume button. You may have to practice this a few times to get the timing right, otherwise it will power up as normal.

3. Use the volume down key to scroll to Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then select it with the power key.

4. On the next menu use the volume down key to scroll thru all of the No entries down to Yes, Delete User Data and select it with the power key.

5. Now you should be back on the first screen and you want to use the volume down key to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and select it with the power key.

6. After it is finished you should select the Reboot System Now which will restart the phone.

At least now I can have a sightly better conversation until/if Samsung gets upgrade #2 release. I would have thought that the Verizon corporate stores would have had the software by now that allows them to install the OS in it's entirety. I suspect that would fix our problems but perhaps not because Samsung is not yet asking customers to return the phones to them to do that.

0 Likes
Michael_S
Enthusiast - Level 3

cynindesign, sorry I got confused. There have been so many posts I got my wires crossed. Glad you were one of the lucky ones with a good Note 3.

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

That's ok, my wires are not only crossed, I'm missing a few....the only phone I know of that's working well in your area is Romeo's Tunes' he's north of Tulsa...maybe.....you'd have to review his posts in this section for certainty. Myself, I'm really interested to see if a documented working phone would work in problematic areas.  I'm just sorry you are still having issues.

0 Likes
Michael_S
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I have used my phone from the Kansas border and in Tulsa and still had the problem. Doesn't appear it is totally geographical.

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

I understand, but your phone is still a variable...as would it work in ANY locale? Romeo's Tune's is not, it works in a region close to you, the question is, if it would work in yours?  If not in yours, then it's tower/signal issues..... is this a correct assumption/interpretation? There's also a possibility that you have a faulty phone, if not system software that compounds the trouble.

0 Likes