Incorrect CA MTS Surcharge
Floyd1874

I believe that Verizon is over charging me for the CA MTS surcharge on my prepaid account.  The percentage, per the official website Board of Equalization – State of California states that the current MTS surcharge for my billing city (West Hollywood) is 5.9%, however, it appears that I'm incorrectly being charged the Los Angeles city rate of 14.9%. 

Can you please confirm how this surcharge is applied to a prepaid account and if/when it will be changed to correct city rate?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Incorrect CA MTS Surcharge
deloused
Master - Level 3

West Hollywood's rate has been 5.9% for 3 days now, for last year it was 9.26%. You'll want to ensure the primary place of usage address on your account is accurate, otherwise the MTS rate is based on the Area Code & Exchange for your phone number.

0 Likes
Re: Incorrect CA MTS Surcharge
Floyd1874

Thanks for your reply. 

I will have to double check what the primary place of usage address is on my account, if in fact it isn't my mailing address.  However, I still interpret the BOE explanation of the MTS surcharge as being tied to the customer's billing address and not the phone number (which mine is carried over from out of state) or the place of usage, when the transaction occurs online.  This is per the 2nd section on this BOE web page Prepaid Mobile Telephony Services (MTS) Surcharge

0 Likes