Being charged by the minute/message on $35 plan?
zmello

Hey all - I've got a question.

Two months ago (beginning of May 2014) I purchased a cheap prepaid phone from Wal-Mart. I chose to go with the $35 plan - 500 minutes, 500 MB data, unlimited text. I added my first airtime card to my phone and everything worked perfectly. However, I ran out of talk time on approximately June 5th, 2014, and I wasn't due to "refill" my plan (according to My Verizon) until June 8th, 2014. I added another $35 card anyway, before I was due to. However, since I've added my second $35 top up card, I've been getting charged for phone calls by the minute at the rate of .25, and being charged .20 for text messages. Can anybody tell me why this is? Or how to go about rectifying the situation?

On My Verizon, under the "credits" tab, it shows me adding the $35 top up, but after I added it suddenly everything started getting charged at a per minute/per message rate, and I had no internet access at all. I'm now out of minutes and messages only 6 days later, rendering my phone useless. I'm really upset that I spent $35 for 6 days of service. Also, My Verizon still states that I am on the $35 500 minute, 500 MB, unlimited text plan... but when you look at my call/text log, it shows the charges being made.

Any insight would be helpful. Can I call Verizon and have them take care of this situation, or am I basically screwed? Will I just have to purchase another card?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Being charged by the minute/message on $35 plan?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

zmello,

I am so sorry to hear about this issue with your Prepay account. We don't want you to be charged on a per minute basis. Please reach out to our Prepay department at 888-294-6804 to address your wireless concerns.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Geluis

I'm in the same situation. Whats the point of having 500 minutes , if they are going to charge per minute. If I use 500 minutes , no problem , but not even coming close to that much talk.

Kept wondering my credit card kept getting charged $35 twice a month. Its because $ .25 a minute bulls--t .

Come on Verizon , lets have an answer please.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

zmello,

I am so sorry to hear about this issue with your Prepay account. We don't want you to be charged on a per minute basis. Please reach out to our Prepay department at 888-294-6804 to address your wireless concerns.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Geluis,

It's a top priority to make sure you're billed correctly and this is concerning to us. Even if you have overages during your bill cycle, it's applied to the same bill, not charged separately. To avoid overage fee per minutes, we recommend upgrading the plan, take a look at our options http://vz.to/1nE7Uec

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
Catbird9
Contributor - Level 2

"If you have less than your plan fee at the time of renewal on the monthly plans, your rates are: 25¢ per minute, 20¢ per text.

For Prepaid Monthly Plans, you must have sufficient account balance at time of renewal to cover the Monthly Access in order to receive the Anytime Minutes, Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Calling, Night & Weekend Minutes, and Unlimited Texting that are included with the Prepaid Monthly Plan. Monthly Access will be charged on the same date each month, unless you have insufficient funds to cover the Monthly Access. Monthly Access or calls rated at the Per-Minute Rate After Allowance and other charges for available services on your Verizon Wireless Prepaid plan may deplete balance prior to its expiration."

From the "more information" link on the plan detail page.

Basic Monthly Plans -Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Geluis

"If you have less than your plan fee at the time of renewal on the monthly plans, your rates are: 25¢ per minute, 20¢ per text.

I originally signed up for the $35 500 pre-paid plan from the start , your comment makes no sense. I paid $35 I should have 500 minutes , but instead they charged me 25 cents per minute which took that $35 to nothing in no time. When if should have came off the 500 minutes that I purchased from the start

I got this phone for my mother who is in nursing home , so she can stay connected to her family. I cant have the phone just stop working because Verizon is screwing up.

0 Likes
Catbird9
Contributor - Level 2

I'm sorry you're having a problem with the prepaid plan. I suggest you call prepaid customer support (888) 294-6804 or *611 from the phone to figure out what is going on.

I have no way of knowing if this applies to you, but just for example, if the phone were used to access the Mobile Web and it used more than 500mb of data, that would deplete your balance. In that case you would need to add money before your 30 day renewal date. If you don't, even though you have not used 500 minutes of talk time, you would still be charged the per-minute rate for talk. This eats up your balance fast, as you have learned.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted out!

0 Likes
zmello

I called customer service and have had the problem rectified.

For future reference for anyone who runs into this problem: if you run out

of minutes before the date you're due to reload (it will tell you on My

VZW), and you reload, you will be knocked off your plan and charged by the

minute/message. You have to wait until your scheduled reload date in order

for your plan to continue. At least, that is what the customer service girl

I spoke to told me. Doesn't make sense, but whatever.

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Catbird9 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
verizonstinksnow

DONT LIE TO HIM VERIZON DOESNT CARE ABOUT CUSTOMERS !!!!!!

0 Likes