Now AT&T is Selling Off Assets to Cover FCC Auction
Snn5
Legend

http://www.bidnessetc.com/33918-att-inc-looks-to-sell-data-centers-as-fcc-auction-nears/

Considering the post of a similar nature regarding Verizon selling off towers to cove their billions spent in the recent auction it seems AT&T might be doing something similar.  One must question who these 2 companies might sell their assets (data centers and towers) to to recoup some cash.

Labels (1)
Re: Now AT&T is Selling Off Assets to Cover FCC Auction
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

They could also be selling the tower infrastructure to another company to remove the structure maintenance from their books and then lease the space on the tower back. Then the tower owner could lease other space on the tower for other carriers or company and maintain the tower.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Snn5
Legend

Interesting point.  A savvy decision should it be made.  Make money on services while saving money on maintenance then partially leasing it back for less cost than owning.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Companies do it all the time for hard assets and employees they have working for them. For personnel, they reduce the number of actual employees and then contract out another company to provide additional personnel aka contractors.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Ann, that is their main goal as they do not want to be in the business of tower support. Before the breakup the towers were handled by their partner ATT Long Lines. Their panel antenna arrays and related equipment are already in place on prime tower points. So they sell the site and lease back all of their equipment space and bank money in the process.

Snn5
Legend

Seems the big companies won't be taken down easily or for long periods of time.  Obviously they had those strategies you mentioned in mind long before the first bid was placed.  I suppose, despite what some customers believe, that these companies do know what they are doing form a financial-survival aspect.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

There is more to this story as they will no longer own the tower or real estate, the FCC can't force them to share the tower with another carrier so more legal wiggle room at the next sale.

Snn5
Legend

I like that I am now seeing and understanding more angles to the process of how all this works.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The tax liability is also reduced as they no longer have to pay property taxes for property they don't own anymore.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

good point Ann.

0 Likes