Re: Are Spelling, Punctuation, Capitalization, and Grammar No Longer Taught in School
Wildman
Legend

You can thank ebonics for this one, a dictionary of street slang being viewed as a actual language or method used for everyday conversation...  That's basically where our world is going.

0 Likes
Re: Are Spelling, Punctuation, Capitalization, and Grammar No Longer Taught in School
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

AZSALUKI wrote:

i still try to properly annunciate what i'm trying to say. for the record, the way i just spelled annunciate is correct. yet there is a red line under it when i type, indicating it is misspelled. maybe our pc's aren't even sure anymore....."lol"

Just had to comment, AZ -

Did you mean annunciate (meaning to announce) to enunciate (meaning to pronounce or articulate) ? 

bigtitan
Contributor - Level 2

I think there are plenty of things that contribute to this issue.  Quite frankly we are living in a world that is continually dumbed down.  Across the board the popular thought process is "easier is better."

In forums such as these people tend to communicate much like they would if they were sending text messages or chatting. The focus tends to be on merely getting the message out rather than how that message is constructed, which oftentimes is counterproductive.  Truth be told, I am an offender. In haste I often spell words incorrectly...and sometimes I don't review my posts for grammatical errors or follow the rules I learned in grade school...and I tend to use "elliptical commas" quite inappropriately...

Perhaps it is just me but the standards I set for what I do online in forums are much different (lower) than those I set for other things such as professional documents, personal letters, emails, etc...

0 Likes
UNREGISTERED2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you.  I am so glad to see this issue raised.  I actually carry a black marker and little white stickers in my purse.  I engage in civil disobedience on signs displaying poor grammar in public. If you have not read it, do find a copy of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" which will assure you that you are not alone and there are many of us out there.  Plus it is funny.  Everyone may not want to edit other people's signs, but I think most of us feel a concern to do something proactive. 

askjeeves
Contributor - Level 1

You are a hero. ❤️

0 Likes
askjeeves
Contributor - Level 1

You are a hero. ❤️

0 Likes
dragonflyher
Enthusiast - Level 3

This thread is too funny but alas it is true! I've taught middle school through college level and was am amazed at how many assignments I get with the abbreviated words inserted into their final drafts! English is not the subject I teach but I do require properly written and sited text in their final assignments.

Yes it has changed English as we know it and as many of us were taught was proper. I have no doubt those hard core "Proper English"  teachers and advocates are biting at the bit to "correct" these inevitable transitions that all languages are known to go through in time.

Ebonics being but one branch of that tree, and certainly not the most recent. IM, SMS, Facebook, You Tube... etc, these all have had major influences. Don't forget music and especially music videos.

Where I'm at currently I do have students discuss these issues but must insist on their use of "proper English" because it's mandated by the Departments of Education at both National and State levels. Makes for an interesting, even funny topic as it seems to have turned to in this string. I needed a laugh this evening. My guess is it isn't going to go back to how it was ever again, & with all the rules and exceptions in the English language that may not be a bad thing.

How will voice over programs change this dynamic yet again, & in the very near future??

0 Likes