Why are my devices connecting to a network extender?
bobtail
Enthusiast - Level 1

I noticed yesterday, the 21st, that my phone now says "Network Extender" on the bottom of the screen..I got online and have seen a couple of other posts. It seems that someone in our neighborhood has one of these devices..Now it's not only "my" cell phone that is being affected by this it is also our "MiFi551" and our home phone which runs off the verizon wireless home connect..I dialed #48 and all devices seem to be connected through this Network Extender. When I dialed #48 and the automated system came on it said "Your are under Network Extender Coverage  Switch 30900-251 and then nothing. Now I know why I have been having problems downloading new software, why I have been getting awful garbled reception on the home phone.,.I DONT WANT TO BE UNDER NETWORK EXTENDER COVERAGE!!  Can ANYONE please tell me if there is a way to keep my equipment from connecting to this blasted Extender??? I don't like the idea that my devices are showing on someone else's equipment..We have been customers of Verizon for over 14 years and never had a problem and now this..

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: CELL PHONE, MiFi551 and WIRELESS HOME CONNECT ARE CONNECTING TO SOME UNKNOWN "NETWORK EXTENDER"
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're connecting to someone's Network Extender bobtail! You will actually need to find out who's Extender it is, then ask them to take your number off of the White List. It could be that when they set it up, there wasn't any security established so your devices connected to it right away. However, the only way to remove your devices would be by the Extender's owners.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: CELL PHONE, MiFi551 and WIRELESS HOME CONNECT ARE CONNECTING TO SOME UNKNOWN "NETWORK EXTENDER"
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Someone nearby must have one. I think the owner could set it up to restrict which devices can connect to the network extender, but I don't know what you can do to prevent your devices from connecting to it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're connecting to someone's Network Extender bobtail! You will actually need to find out who's Extender it is, then ask them to take your number off of the White List. It could be that when they set it up, there wasn't any security established so your devices connected to it right away. However, the only way to remove your devices would be by the Extender's owners.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes