Re: Where is "Managed Access" on my 4G LTE Network Extender?
JohnsonRW18
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Joe,

I'd rather not publicize our numbers to be whitelisted on our own extender.  Your common sense question is spot on.  If there's an interim solution to whitelist number, it would be helpful for VZW to simply offer such a link and instructions.

Thanks for posing this question.  Perhaps a non-bot employee will actually take on this good initiative.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our apologies regarding the whitelist details we mentioned earlier. This only applies to 3G Network extenders, where numbers can be added and removed via the whitelist. This is both through the web admin page (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-21844/) or from our end. The ability to create a whitelist for 4G Network Extenders is not available, nor do we have a way to add numbers to a whitelist, as that only applies to 3G Network Extenders.

Unfortunately, we do not have access to the software update plans or timetables regarding what will be updated for this device. Once news regarding an update for this feature becomes available for the 4G Network Extender, we will communicate these details to our customers. Thank you again for your understanding, and our apologies for the confusion. 

Nicandro_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JohnsonRW18
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the clarification. But this doesn’t alleviate my perceived deception by VZW. The 4G LTE network extender should have never been fielded without full disclosure about the loss of managed access capability. Given there is no get-well-date, I remain dissatisfied.

0 Likes
rvortman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I’d like to add that I’m currently working on getting my old 3G Network Extender working again. I’m totally disgusted with the 4G model that I bought. My neighbors really enjoy using it. And yes, I’m considering billing Verizon for the cost of the Extender and the internet that I pay for that my neighbors have been using.

I really admire Verizon‘s business model and ethics here. I’m paying Verizon and Comcast so that I have the privilege of extending Verizon’s network to my neighbors. What a business...screw your customers and smile all the way to the bank.

I doubt that Verizon has any intention or reason to add user management to the 4G Network Extender. Why should they invest in software develoment when it would result in them making less money? However, this itself says a lot about how Verizon thinks about its customer...cash cows to be milked as much as possible.

I’ll be using the only tool that I have to show Verizon how I feel about them...take my wallet elsewhere.

0 Likes
JohnsonRW18
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi. Your post is timely. I have posted here before, about the 4G extender not having managed access.

I noticed VZW has recently addressed the 4G managed access issue. From their FAQ answer, we are stuck. At least they are finally admitting it.

What is especially timely about your post is our aging VZW phones need replacing. My wife has Government issued AT&T phone. It works fine for her.

I noticed AT&T has similar network booster products. We are on vacation, and were planning to get new phones this week. We found a nearby AT&T store near us. If they address managed access better than VZW, VZW will lose us as decades-long customers.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

0 Likes
rvortman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since I last posted about this, I've stopped using my Network Extender, and have no intention of using it in its current condition. I'm very unhappy that I paid for it, since my Network Extender is a piece of Verizon's infrastructure that I already pay to use monthly. Even though I paid for the Network Extender, I cannot restrict the usage of it to my household, it's used by my neighbors as well. So, to add insult to injury, not only do my neighbors use it, I pay for the internet so that they can do so.

This Network Extender will be out of use until user connection management is added to it, and I can designate who can use it. Meanwhile I'm using wi-fi calling...which works fine...but not as well as the Network Extender that I paid about $300 for so that I can provide part of Verizon's infrastructure for my neighbors.

Got to say, I feel really ripped off about this one. I guess Verizon would say "buyer beware", but they've also said that they've been "considering adding user management" on the web site since I originally bought it. Given that I paid for the Network Extender, and pay the ongoing cost of internet for it, I couldn't imagine Verizon not doing the same thing that they did with the previous version, implementing user management. Clearly, Verizon has no intention of adding user management. That would lower the value of my Network Extender to them.

I guess that I should have had more imagination about how Verizon can use me and get even more out of me than the monthly cost of service. Mind-expanding experience.

0 Likes
JohnsonRW18
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hear you. Pretty much the same sentiment with me – Especially the ripoff / bait and switch pulled by Verizon. We don’t have enough conflict yet to warrant shutting off the extender. But we are seeing where others are supported – and it’s not even their fault.

As long as we are Verizon customers, we’re stuck.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JohnsonRW18,

I can definitely understand your concerns, but I am glad to hear that the lack of managed access has not warranted disabling the extender thus far.

Are your current devices compatible with Wi-Fi calling? This feature is free to use and would be operable within your personal security settings on the home Wi-Fi network. I understand that this is not a solution to the managed access issue, but it can help you in the event that you decide to turn off your extender. I hope this information helps.

Colin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Lachlan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just chiming in here to voice my shared frustration with all the customers above. This really is an outrageous deception by Verizon.

I paid more than $200 for my network extender because I get zero service or data reception in my apartment. There are routinely at least two other people, and sometimes as many as seven or eight, connected to my network extender.

Just to be clear, that's as many as seven or eight people connected to the network service that I pay for.

To make matters worse, because of the extraneous connections, I frequently hit the extender's capacity utilization threshold—which means I have zero access to cell or 4G services in my on home.

And then to add insult to injury, the settings page tells me, "If the capacity exceeds the threshold consistently, an additional Network Extender 2 may be needed."

So Verizon refuses to add this feature in order to piggyback other customers off of the internet connection that I pay for, and then has the temerity to suggest I double the amount of money I already paid in order to get the service I paid for in the first place.

This is really outrageous, and absent a fix very soon I will need to switch wireless carriers as being routinely denied service in my own apartment simply is not an option.

AndrewBreault
Enthusiast - Level 2

@vzw_customer_support When will managed mode become available? 

0 Likes