Variable Coverage from the network with the "Best coverage in the nation"
stewjutsu

I switched to VZW about six months ago because the carrier I was with had terrible coverage no matter where I was in the country. Now I have pretty solid coverage everywhere I have been from Alabama to Texas to Nevada. However, not at home. As a matter of fact I can't even send a text message from inside (or outside) my house, even though it is "in a 4G coverage area."

I called Verizon and they kindly sent out there technicians. The technicians deemed my home to be in a variable coverage area and subsequently told me that I had to purchase a network extender. The sad thing is, when I had this issue with my previous carrier (which cost half as much per month), they sent me a similar device for free. VZW, however, wants my left leg for the privilege of having coverage in and around my home.

Can someone please tell me why I would switch to the most expensive carrier in the country just to have them ask me to spend more to get coverage that there map says is already there and to have customer service that is inferior to my previous carrier. I am very frustrated with the situation.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Variable Coverage from the network with the "Best coverage in the nation"
Snn5
Legend

Verizon and ATT are about the only 2 providers that work well in the SouthEast area outside BHam, ATL, and into Miss.  Even Sprint works on the major highways and even some sparse rural areas.  The map coverage means you shold have "some" sort of signal, not that it is perfect or even near so.  Indoors is absolutely no guarantee.  The network extender idea is good, if...you get one elsewhere.  The Verizon 3G extender is tricky with some 4G phones and I never had a great deal of success with it.  Wilson offers 3G and 4G extenders and are compatible with many carriers, are stronger, and can cost less.  In the end, you may need another provider, but if Verizon isn't covering you in the rural areas, and ATT doesnt either, you may need an extender/booster.  You can press Verizon for the extender at no charge, but it's a rare thing nowdays and in the end, with enough fringe coverage and network tickets, you may be released from contract anyway.

0 Likes
billski1
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you have been a long time customer, vzw is willing to give you a discount off the extender.   Unfortunately I have not found any used extenders on ebay to pick up for cheap. 

I believe an extender attaches through your internet.

Wilson sells amplifiers which take the signal in your area and improves it. 

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The extender is 3G only. Plans were spoken of to offer a LTE version.  Also, high speed internet is needed. Attaches to cable modem.

0 Likes
Epounders

Funny thing about those network extenders is any device with that network can connect to it even though you can put a password on it like your router that only secures your spot, so you get stuck with the high price and your neighbors get better service! Not to mention the way they work is your device connects to the extender and the extender is connected to your router, that being said information no longer is sent to a cell tower it is sent via internet to Verizon then sent to the intended recipent. So basically Verizon is trying to plug as many “network extenders” and move away from having to up keep those annoying cell antennas. I have 8 lines on our plan and have had Verizon and lived at the same place for 20+\- years and have had great service here, untill about 18 months ago now I’m in a variable coverage area. Was told we needed a network extender. No thank you! If Verizon is gonna ride the coat tails of another service then they need to drop their prices! Everyone should read their contracts pay attention to the billing part it’s a nail bitter

0 Likes