Samsung note 2 and s5 dropping calls on the extender
Aradad

Our parents just moved fro Las Vegas to Georgia, they have a Note 2 and a Galaxy s5. We have a network extender in the house and our phones an S5 and motorola turbo 2 work fine but their phones constantly drop calls

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung note 2 and s5 dropping calls on the extender
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dropping calls is never fun, Aradad. So your phones are working fine and their devices are not working well with your network extender? Do they have advanced calling turned on? Are they dropping calls anywhere else?

AllisonC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tstocksl

Verizon Wireless Customer Support, I have the same problem with my Galaxy S5 on the Verizon Samsung 3G Network Extender.  After two hour long phone sessions Verizon support recommended upgrading to the Samsung 4G Network Extender, but my company plan (IBM through Bluefish Wireless) does not yet offer the 4G Network Extender.  I have had the Network Extender for 2 plus years prior to this working with a Galaxy S4 Mini with no problems

After total frustration for several weeks of dropped calls anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes into work calls, I found out today that some Verizon users are saying they have discarded their network extenders and gone to WiFi calling.  So I tried that today, unplugging my network extender, enabling HD calling and WiFi calling.  Since I have no service at all inside my house, calls immediately go to WiFi and so far, I have had one hour long call that stayed connected the whole time with very good call quality (I have Comcast's best home internet service since I work from home).  So I am going to keep the settings as is with the network extender disconnected for a while to see if it is a real solution.

Note you do have to set a physical address for 911 dialing when using WiFI, and I'm not sure how it will work when I leave the house.  Also, I haven't seen answers to all my questions about this configuration yet:

1. Will my phone automatically switch back to 4G when out of WiFi range (I hope so!)?
  2. Can I specific only to use WiFi calling on specific networks?  (I don't see that as an option in the settings, but it would be a good enhancement).
  3. Another enhancement would be to make the physical location address part of the WiFi network connection settings, so that if I can choose which WiFI networks I want to use for calling 911 will automatically pick up the physical address of the network I am connected to for WiFi calling.
  4. Will calls in progress on WiFI be dropped when out of WiFi range?  I expect so, especially because I need to go about a mile from my house before Verizon 4G signal is available.  This would be consistent with the behavior I see when I leave my network extender's range.
  5. What is Verizon's QoS or signal strength algorithm to determine when to  use WiFi or 4G when both are available?  Does a call "lock on" to one or the other for the duration of a call, or switch back and forth between depending on the algorithm?
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tstocksl,

I personally use and love Wi-fi calling. I am happy to hear that Wi-Fi calling is working out for you. I'll be happy to help and answer your good questions.

1. It will pick up the best available signal in that particular location.

2. No, but yes that will be a good enhancement. I will get it lifted up.

3. Thank you for your feedback. Greatly appreciate these good ones.

4. That will depend on the network signal that you pick up.

5. It will alway use Wi-Fi first and use the network signal as a back up.

RyanC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes