Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,016 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Samsung Wireless Extender 2: does it support WEA broadcasts?
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

VZW coverage in our home is marginal. It's a combination of distance, topography, and construction. So I'm investigating alternatives (i.e., signal boost, extender).

Does the extender support Reverse 911 or WEA (wireless emergency alert) delivery? We used to have an AT&T microcell, and, while it worked well for voice and SMS, and had its own geolocation capability to support E-911, neither Reverse 911 or WEA were supported over it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Wireless Extender 2: does it support WEA broadcasts?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great question. We will be more than happy to provide the information needed. Can you please clarify, are you wondering if you will receive 911 or WEA when connected to a the extender? AlbertP_VZW

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

Right. What else? Reverse 911 and WEA are location-based services. For mobile phones on the wireless network, the wireless network routes Reverse 911 and WEA to phones with geolocatons in the affected area. Question is if the network routes Reverse 911 and WEA to a Wireless Extender 2 based on its geolocation being in an affected area?

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

The all the extender does is use your wired ISP( like via  a cable company ) to route your calls instead of using the network.

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, I know this. It doesn't answer the question. It also knows, and reports, its geolocation in order to meet E911 requirements. The question is does the network--VZW's network--also use this geolocation to route Reverse 911 and WEA to it?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the information dwatson808. In regard to the network extender it does support E911 services.

JenniferL_VZW

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

No, it does not answer my question. E911 is related, in that it requires mobile device geolocation, but is not the same as Reverse 911 delivery or WEA delivery. E911 passes calling device's location--for network extender, determined by network extender GPS receiver--to emergency services when device calls 911. Reverse 911 and WEA delivery are calls/message delivered by THE NETWORK (aka VZW) to mobile devices based on the device's reported geolocation.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dwatson808, we apologize that the information in the last message did not answer your question. Here is a web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/4g-lte-network-extender-faqs/ with all the available information about how the device works. At this time we would like to get to the root cause of your concern. There are not any known issues with the device providing customers with the coverage they need with the current capabilities. How will the Reverse 911 or WEA that you are mentioning resolve a problem that you expect to experience with the Verizon Network Extender?

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

(Inadvertent dupe)

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

I don’t have one of these devices yet. I am trying to ascertain if it does or does not provide Reverse 911 and WEA support, like a direct wireless connection does, prior to pursuing purchase. I have already read the FAQs page. Apparently this question is not asked frequently because it isn’t answered there.

Maybe you need to try to learn about and understand Reverse 911 and WEA, and how VZW provides these services to mobile phone, connected via the real wireless network, in affected areas, before replying again. Question is if VZW provides these services to phones connected via this network extender in affected areas.

0 Likes