Samsung 3G Range Extender Gives Wrong GPS Location...Again.
JuliaGee

Well, it's happened again for the third time. My range extender is now showing my GPS location as 128 miles SW of where I actually live.

When the range extender is off, and I'm only connected to my in-home wifi, my location is totally accurate.

The range extender is located next to a window and I use the GPS antenna attached to the inside of the window.

While on the range extender all I have to do is open any app that uses GPS to determine my location, such as Google maps, or The Weather Channel and they all now show me as being approx 128 miles SW of where my home is. I live on Camano Island, WA and my location shows me in Olympia, WA.

Once again, as I've stated before when this has happened, I live on a semi-rural island in North Puget Sound. There is no cell signal in my area so the range extender is my lifeline. Location inaccuracy is a huge problem since my Verizon phone is my only phone. If I unplug the range extender I have no signal. With this issue if I were to call 911 it would show me as being 128 miles away from my actual location. This is a potentially dangerous, and serious problem - and also a legal one for Verizon, since the FCC requires 911 GPS accuracy within 50 meters.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung 3G Range Extender Gives Wrong GPS Location...Again.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JuliaGee, location accuracy can be vital. I am sad to hear you are having issues with your network extender. I definitely want to get to the bottom of things for you. Having an accurate location when 911 is involved is essential. What troubleshooting steps have you performed? 

DiaS_VZW

If you have not done so, please use the link below to enroll in our amazing Verizon Up rewards program. It has some awesome benefits, discounts, and features such as free concert tickets and/or a Starbucks gift card. Sign up and start using your rewards today.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

why bother having Verizon service at all if you can't get a signal? Also you're using a 3G extender. verizon is shutting down 3G at teh end of the years and most 3G towers have already been turned off. Maybe you need to put it infront of a differnet window. And perhaps upgrade to a 4G extender

0 Likes
JuliaGee

I have tried all of the methods from previous posts. Moving it to a diiferent location in my home; using the wire antenna - even going as far as moving it the highest window in my home; checked for updated firmware; etc. 

And then today, something new started happening - it began switching between my actual location, and the wrong location in Olympia every couple of hours. 

As for the user who suggested I buy the newer 4G LTE range extender, I don't have that kind of money. My current, and yes it's an older, range extender, was provided by Verizon due to the fact that even after they installed new cellular towers in my area, I was still in a signal-less black hole (and I'm a long time customer).

0 Likes