Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,129 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Re: Recurrent MME Communication Error on Extender
JJ358MHZ

Done. I’ll let you know if it remains stable.

Are you still awaiting a firmware upgrade from Samsung?

Best Regards,

Jeff

Personal information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
ASKCHARLIE
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello?????  Can you hear me now?

Can you tell me where to send this back and get a full refund?  Obviously, it's useless if I bought it from Verizon and Verizon can't make it work to connect to its own network for over a month.

I'll look into canceling and moving to another carrier instead that I can get service at home.  I live in a high density metropolitan area, not some rural countryside with no or weak signal.

This is crazy stupid and the lack of response is even worse than the dumb questioning ("is the power on?" seriously?!)

Super frustrating.

vzw_customer_support

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Please reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter, so that we can work on this one on one and get your issue resolved.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's been our pleasure to assist, JJ358MHZ. While we don't have an exact date for a software update, you can confirm your software and update availability by navigating to your Network Extender Home Page. Refer to page 18 in the user guide: http://spr.ly/6589Dx6Rt. I hope this is beneficial.

Tracy_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JCap334
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm checking back here after 4+ months since my last post and the issue is still persisting with all 3 extenders at my place of work. Random crashed with MME Communication Failure and device needs to be power cycled to work again.

It seems Verizon is still using the same pathetic canned responses. I guess the fact that this thread is nearly 10 pages long should be a wake-up call that THE ISSUE IS ON THEIR END, NOT OURS!!!

Push out a fixed firmware ASAP or push out an older version that has been proven to work!

JCap334
Enthusiast - Level 3

Alright guys, I think I finally solved the issue!!!

In the web interface on all 3 of our extenders at my workplace. I went into Settings, then I changed the ""MTU Size" from 1450 to 1500.

I then ran multiple runs of the Ookla Speedtest app on my phone while connected to LTE from the extender that would fail the most, and all went well! Before the change, running a single speed test would bring down the extender immediately and cause an MME Communications Failure error on the device.

It is too soon to tell if this actually fixed the issue, so I will post back if something goes wrong.

To others having this issue, please let me know if changing the MTU to 1500 helps!

dnieweg
Enthusiast - Level 1

Unbelievable. It seems like this fixed it for me as well. Ran a couple of speedtest's which would always cause an immediate MME Failure, and it's still up! It is definitely a reproducible error that is related to loading down the device.

The currently loaded firmware is: 3.1.1.00. The default firmware was older than this and ran flawlessly, but this firmware causes the MME failure under load. Samsung does not allow you to change the firmware, and they push out firmware updates without any warning or control. You can tell when they have pushed out a new firmware because they will change whatever password you set back to a default password.

Not much I can do as a user but accept the fact that they have me on the 3.1.1.00 firmware.

The fact that JCap334 had to figure out a workaround on his own is fantastic and also really really sad. Nine pages of very clear customer complaints, clearly identifying a reproducible bug, over a 7-month period and NO resolution from Verizon or Samsung other than misguided instructions to factory default the unit and check the power. This is an example of all that is wrong with customer service today.

Thanks JCap334

JCap334
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're very welcome, dnieweg. I couldn't believe it myself that such a simple change of a setting fixed the issue entirely. 2 weeks later and our extenders at my work place have not had a single MME failure since I made the change on all 3 of them.

And you are right, it is very sad. Sad in a sense that Verizon could not have thought of this fix themselves and helped us out. Honestly it was a stroke of luck on my part. I randomly researched the proper MTU to use on Ethernet, and everything said 1500. I think under heavy load, a 1450 MTU would cause fragmentation and the Extender would freak out and crash.

I am so happy that after MONTHS of dealing with issue, I have one less thing to worry about at work lol! I hope others read my solution and have success as well.

To Verizon, please add this solution to your support pages for the 1st gen 4G LTE Extender!

0 Likes
ananus

I am having problems with the network extender and SMS messages. I have had the Verizon 4G LTE Network Extender for a year and everything was working fine. All of a sudden in the past week, I cannot send or receive SMS messages. If I go away from the extender or unplug it, everything works fine. I tried increasing the MTU to 1500 per the last post but that did not work for me. Did you have any ideas how to fix the extender so it works properly again?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would love to help with your Network Extender concerns, Cory. Have you completed any troubleshooting steps? This will help to prevent us from repeating any steps. 

CheyenneS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes