Re: Recurrent MME Communication Error on Extender
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JCap334, thank you so much for your patience and for the troubleshooting steps you have completed with your network extenders you have at your work place. I would like to gather some more information on this issue with the latest firmware version you are experiencing so that we can find the proper resolution. How often would you say the network extender with the most recent update shows the error message "MME Communication Error"? How long is the network extender with the latest firmware version able to work effectively until the error message shows up again?

BrettA_VZW 

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JCap334
Enthusiast - Level 3

To answer your questions. On the latest firmware, the extender tends to fail with MME Communication Failure roughly once a day or every 2 days.

The issue can actually be replicated/triggered. If we have a lot more people than usual in our office with Verizon phones, the extender will crash.

If I run the OOKLA Speedtest app. After I run the test, 9 out of 10 times, the extender will instantly fail with MME Communication Failure. To bring the extender back up, I must unplug and plug back in.

From my conclusive troubleshooting, it appears the extenders cannot handle being run at full capacity, where this was not an issue in earlier software builds.

My proposed solution is for Verizon to roll back the most recent software update, OR to fix this issue in an upcoming update.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JCap334,

I appreciate the steps and troubleshooting you've taken. You mentioned the extenders are 4G. The errors you mention are concerns with the devices commuincating with the network. Just in case: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-204074/

Understanding the concern is with both devices, just for troubleshooting, what happens if you unplug one of the units, then move it to another location?

KatiM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JCap334
Enthusiast - Level 3

I swapped positions of both units, even assigned them a static IP and used Level3/Verizon DNS servers (209.244.0.3 / 209.244.0.4) on the network settings, and the same issues occur. I had the extenders up and running all day long. Phone calls worked fine with them.

As soon as I ran an OOKLA Speedtest.net while close to each extender, one by one they both crashed. This is not a network issues in my office. Our Comcast Business connection works absolutely perfect. I even checked our web filter to see if anything was being blocked from either extender, and did not find anything.

I'm at a loss at this point. All I can do is wait for the next firmware update and hope the issue gets resolved. Otherwise I'll most likely be seeking a full refund of all extenders my company has purchased.

This issue needs to be fixed on Verizon's end.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JCap334, we appreciate the steps you have taken thus far. You mentioned previously one of the extenders reverted back to an older version software after you performed a factory data reset. Is this still the case? I ask because in your last post it seems to indicate that both have the same issue again after you assigned the static IP.

TionnaB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tmgesq
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, I too now have this same problem.  I am not tech savy.  Help!

JCap334
Enthusiast - Level 3

The extender that had the old version automatically updated to the latest firmware on its own. Both extenders run perfectly fine until a heavy load is placed upon either of them. Days can go by and they'll be fine. AS SOON as there is either:

A) A large meeting in the office with people who all have Verizon phones

B) I run a speed test

At the point the extender is heavily loaded, it crashes with MME Communication Failure and has to be power cycled.

There is absolutely no more troubleshooting I can do on my end unless you can tell me how to view/extract a debug log.

0 Likes
ssiewert
Enthusiast - Level 2

Factory reset did not help.  Any other ideas?  Still having the same issue on a daily basis.  I do not see the same pattern as others (the error on our extender seems to happen every day, no matter if there is heavy use or not).

DENGOU70
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our extender worked fine for a year. The last 3 days i get the same MME Failure message and lose all connections.  I reboot (which is a good 30-45 minutes) then it works.  But it may only work for a few hours.  Then it fails again with the same message. SO i reboot again.  We are in conference calls all day long and this happens and there is nothing you can do about it until 30-45 minutes later after rebooting.  It happens several times a day.  I have performed a factory reset and it still does it.  Please fix this bug asap!  Otherwise I want a refund because it's useless.

jav6
Champion - Level 3

vzw_customer_support​, It appears that this issue can be replicated easily.  Can't you escalate this to Technical Support to work with Samsung if necessary to find out the issue with the latest release of the software?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...