Is the 4G LTE network extender safe to use for fincial trans actions?
Ellenj
Enthusiast - Level 3

It can't be locked.  Which means that 4 unknown neighbors are burning through my broadband allowance.  50 feet is a huge distance in a multi-unit building. 

This is bad enough, but even worse I cannot get a straight answer from Verizon on 2 security questions:

Is my network is still secure? Or can some stranger use a phone to access other devices on my network?

Is it safe to make financial/CC transactions on the extender? I usually turn off Wifi and use cellular to buy stuff from my phone.  Is that still safe, or is it now same as Wifi?

Thanks for your help.

Labels (1)
Re: Is the 4G LTE network extender safe to use for fincial trans actions?
Securityconscious
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same concerns which led me to your post. I'm sorry you're not getting any answers. 

0 Likes
Re: Is the 4G LTE network extender safe to use for fincial trans actions?
Ellenj
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Newbie

The newer versions of the extender and an update on the 4G LTE extender allow MAC address lockout, but only for new phones (NMT 2 years old).  So at least you can control who is using your WiFi if your phone is new enough.

But it is using your WiFi, and is only as secure as your Wi-Fi.  Since I live in Silicon Valley, I expect someone is WiFi snooping and never use WiFi for secure transactions.  If you want to fear for you security, Google "WiFi snooping".  

I am not using it at home.  I installed it at work where there are no other WiFi signals.  Since then, my cell coverage has gone to zero at home, so I use hardwired LAN on a laptop for secure transactions.  

I'm shopping for a new cell provider, because even the local Verizon store cannot get Verizon cell service.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays

Good Luck