Increasing reception in outlaying areas...
ADFAMCORP

I have to add port numbers to my browser settings so my 4G LTE network Extender with external aerial will program itself.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Increasing reception in outlaying areas...
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

There are a ton of posts to sift through so forgive me if I have overlooked something.

From what I can tell this user does not have access to a landline internet connection (coax,dsl,fiber).  He uses satellite for his TV at the moment and there may be a local Muni WiFi service provider in his area willing to broadcast a WiFi broadband signal to him, but that is unconfirmed.

That means all Verizon Network Extenders are out of the equation.  NEs are only going to help if there is a reliable broadband connection behind them providing a consistent connection.  Satellite and Muni WiFi isn't going to cut it in my experience.

That leaves him with the a 4G router that talks directly to his local tower(s?).  The best thing he can do is boost his reception with a booser/amplifier kit.  I cant tell if he already purchased one or not but it sounds like he has and also worked with a local tech at some point or another (for the GPS concern?).

Roof mounting the GPS antenna should not be necessary.  Satellites would be just as visible a window facing the equator with a clean line of sight as they would on the roof, although roofs will certainly perform better.  Having to mount a GPS antenna on the roof suggests the area is covered heavily by trees or other objects that are otherwise not present on the roof.  Users need a minimum of 4-5 good GPS satellites to get a lock.  There is not much of an advantage of viewing more than the minimum with these devices as they are stationary.  Once locked the GPS coordinates are not very important anymore.  GPS performance is not related to the throughput of the device itself.

So... If this were me I would spend my time playing with the booster kit to get the best VZW service that I could in this environment.  Sounds like he already has a roof mounted antenna to play with so I'd consider adding that to the solution to improve the results.  If the native signals in the area are too poor to begin with then the booster isn't going to make much of a difference and alternative service providers or setups should be considered.  Generally speaking placing the antenna higher in the air in addition to a higher powered antenna/booster kit will improve the results.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure your network extender has the correct settings to provide you with the best service, ADFAMCORP. If you are unsure of what ports must be unblocked, please check out these links. http://spr.ly/658282Ovy; http://spr.ly/658482OvK

AndreaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ADFAMCORP

Hi,

I have the list of the ports that will suppositly fix my problem, but if

what I've read is true, I would have to pay Verison $500.00 for an IP

address. I may switch to ATT. This set up I have, was recommended by

Verizon personnel. I think I've been had...

Not happy,

John

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:00 AM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
Wyatt88
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you have good wifi at your house, you can use the "WIFI calling" feature on your phone. This will force any cell calls to go through your house wifi and bypass the extender.

0 Likes
ADFAMCORP

Setting the phone on wi-go was one of the very first things I did.

My research tells me I need a IP address, so I can open some ports in my

router.  Verizon wants $500 for one.  They are one of the only cell

carriers that charges for this service.  I picked the wrong carrier.  I may

change.  I'm mad as [removed] since it was their idea to get the extender and

aerial...

Thanks,

John

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

I'm not aware of a network extender requiring a dedicated IP address from an internet provider.  As for ports being opened in browser, I believe that really is using a browser to access your local router for configuring ports that the network extender needs.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
ADFAMCORP

Hi,

Neither was I... Live and learn...

Verizon never gave me a reason either...

Extender would not self program... I live in a bad place for reception. I

get 10 strong satellite signals 100 % of the time with the external aerial

they added, but still nothing...

I read for almost 2 weeks to find out the problem. Verizon technical

service does not have a clue about all of this. Talked to several and they

all had a different answer. 2 hung up on me... Unbelievable....

Good night,

John

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you register the network extender with your MyVerizon account online?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ADFAMCORP

Morning,

If I was asked or told to register, then I did. At my age I don't remember

everything, but I don't see why I would not register. How can I find out?

Thanks,

John

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I think in MyVerizon online, you'll see the devices configured to the account.

Maybe your specific extender is defective?

0 Likes