6620L usb modem to ASUS RT-N66U
skyfox99

I am interested in becoming a Verizon Wireless customer due to lack of internet options (rural area).  There is strong LTE coverage and was looking into a HOTSPOT.  I was originally going to just get a USB modem but the reviews aren't great on any of them and I like the idea of being able to carry around the hotspot but it will primarily be stationary at home.  I know some of the hotspot models support USB tethering and was wondering if the 6620L will support it?

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 6620L usb modem to ASUS RT-N66U
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I would advise against getting a Jetpack as a home internet replacement device.  Sure it will work, but you are asking for trouble if you start to treat this device outside of its design specs.  There are many other devices that are better suited to be a home router replacement than a Jetpack (which is designed to be a temporary travel hotspot device).

You would be much happier with a 4G LTE modem, USB modem or HomeFusion as a in home replacement device.

To answer your question there are many Jetpacks that offer USB tethering and the 6620L is one of them.  However only devices with wireless drivers will be able to connect to and use the USB tethering feature.  Some routers can do this but not all.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I would advise against getting a Jetpack as a home internet replacement device.  Sure it will work, but you are asking for trouble if you start to treat this device outside of its design specs.  There are many other devices that are better suited to be a home router replacement than a Jetpack (which is designed to be a temporary travel hotspot device).

You would be much happier with a 4G LTE modem, USB modem or HomeFusion as a in home replacement device.

To answer your question there are many Jetpacks that offer USB tethering and the 6620L is one of them.  However only devices with wireless drivers will be able to connect to and use the USB tethering feature.  Some routers can do this but not all.

0 Likes
skyfox99

Thank you for the reply.  The Asus router is designed for USB modems specifically (or as a repeated but you lose speed doing it that way).

I have been reading a lot of your replies and even the VZW staff trust your answers...  So with that being said, what is the real difference between the HomeFusion (apparently now renamed "LTE Internet (Installed)") and a the 6620L?  Don't they essentially do the same thing off the same towers?  Just curious. I am looking into the LTE Internet (Installed) because, while it may be an expensive option, it is much better than what I am paying for now because I am lucky if I even get 1 meg download (seriously).

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Oh well look at that, VZW did rebrand HomeFusion to LTE Internet (Installed):

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Ditches-Home-Fusion-Brand-for-Fixed-Wireless-Service-1301...

Not sure how I missed that news, thanks for the update.  I like the old name better.

While both the Jetpack and LTE Internet devices connect end users to the local towers the LTE Internet devices do it the best.  This is due to the high powered directional antenna and amplifier system that comes with these devices.  They must be installed by a professional so you know that the best possible reception is being achieved.  The hardware that comes with the Jetpack simply cannot compete, nor should it have to since Jetpacks are not intended for home internet replacement.

0 Likes
skyfox99

I have an appointment on Sunday to get this set up.  Thank you.  It is also a better cost/gig as well than the hotspot so I  hope that'll help, but I wish it wasn't a limit being a homebased service as I am worried about hitting that 30 gig limit quickly with a TV, computer, two tablets, and 2 smartphone on the router.  We shall see.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Data management is a issue for everyone on a wireless internet service.  You have to be diligent and check your data usage frequently for the first few months.  Learn and react quickly to habits that rack up the data as opposed to those that do not.  Stay on top of your usage because once it is on your final bill you are going to be held liable to pay it, don't let yourself get into an overage situation.

At least with the LTE Internet service you will have the best possible equipment for connecting with your local towers.  This should reduce some of the headaches you would have had with a Jetpack in the same scenario.

0 Likes