Re: 4G Network Extender Issues
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1

What's odd is that the problem you are describing is not the same symptoms I am having.

The symptoms I am having are:

1. Power level goes from 100% to 20% every few days to weeks, I can clearly see the log message when this happens and then I need to turn it back to 100% save and reboot. This problem has existed since day one, over a year ago

2. New in either 2.0.0.01 firmware or iPhone 10.3.3, phone constantly wants to swap between network extender (even if it's 2 ft from me) and the really bad (-119 to -123) Macro with or without VZW-WiFi (depending if it's enabled/on).

0 Likes
jerro
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have Androids but when visitors with iPhone 6 or 6S are here they get Extender coverage. iPhone 7 is known to not work well with the 4g Extender. Wonder if the Cisco AT&T units have all these issues?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is never the experience that we want you to have on our services, Jerro. Was our Tier 3 team able to resolve this issue?

JoshuaT_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

jerro wrote:

What happened to the EDIT after posting option? It won't go there anymore, just wanted to clean up a few typos in last post.

There is a five minute edit window for posts. You have to be in the actual thread page and not the Inbox reply area to access the edit options.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1

I have had my 4G LTE Network Extender since it was first released. My iPhone 7 Plus was rock solid on the network extender prior to either the 2.0.0.01 Network Extender upgrade or the iOS 10.3.3 upgrade (outside of the random time very few weeks / days where VZW would kick me back down to 20% power, which has happened since initial product launch). Prior to one or both of these upgrades, I could hold a solid signal on the network extender not only in my house, but outside and at least a house away and would be reliably locked on the network extender any time in this vicinity. As I said, I can clearly just watch the iPhone bouncing back and forth off the network extender, I just don’t know which is broken, the Network Extender or Android. Given you’re having issue with Android, sound like it’s the network extender. For iOS, I can actually watch the phone bounce to and off and back again from the network extender. I also disabled Wifi calling to make sure that having it there as a backup was not a trigger to the issue and it made no difference. I did this test a few feet away from my network extender.

0 Likes
jerro
Enthusiast - Level 3

The iphone 7 is not showing as officially compatible. Here is the link, Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender - Verizon Wireless Then click on Check compatibility.

Regardless, if the iPhone 7 worked with your Extender great, maybe the iOS and the Extender is just not playing nice in addition to the Extenders other glitches. My Androids can go in and out too but only when the Extender is having a fit but then once its stabilized (by additional resets and or power cycles) its fine until a mysterious reset, an update or maybe a power outage where it restarts quickly and apparently misses something in the restart process.

While AT&T also uses an Extender, T Mobile moved on to a repeater type unit with two units, interesting! If WiFi Calling was better and could do hand offs etc maybe they could retire these glitchy Extenders.

BTWL VZW never even offered a good will credit for all this needless time wasting trouble?

0 Likes
SCRECH1

All,

Seems like all these problems are related.  I have iphone 6 and 7 in my home and they work up in last week with the extender.  I have has iOS 10.3 latest since the day it was released.  I still think this is related to latest firmware for the device.  I have seen the 20% to 100% thing going on myself.  The devices jump on and off the extender.  While it is powered if you dial #48 it never connects just fails after 10 secs.  I can reproduce this with different phones in my home too.  I was wondering that I might take the extender to neighbors house to prove that problem is unrelated to my home network...which I am about 99.9% sure that it has nothing to do with the problem.  I do feel better that I am not the only one having the problem.  I will be on phone tomorrow crawling up Verizon's tail over this. It is totally unacceptable customer service that I have not recieved a call back other than texts saying "still be worked on".  Frustrated!!!!   AAARGGGHH!

0 Likes
jerro
Enthusiast - Level 3

We shouldn't have to do all kinds of experiments like testing it at another location,to prove to VZW or Samsung that we are not the problem! It's not just you!

0 Likes
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1

At this point, I escalated to the Executive for VZW to get a resource who can actually fix this and am waiting to hear back. It’s going to require someone who has enough position at VZW to get Samsung involved to troubleshoot. There is no question that the Network Extender is completely broken with the 2.0.0.01 update. This problem is well beyond the skill level of the standard VZW Tech Support escalation process. I too have a new NRB case open, but have not heard back on it yet. In parallel, I did get Apple all of the logs, so they may help give me some data to point the finger at Samsung soon too if they don’t admit they have a problem in their code.

0 Likes
mikewb

I read that the network extender uses Samsung's "self-optimizing network technology". It sounds like this feature will automatically adjust the signal strength of the extender based on the strength of Verizon's cell signal in your area. This might explain the change in signal strength from 100% to 20%.

From Verizon and Samsung unveil 4G LTE Network Extender for homes and businesses | Samsung Business :

" the 4G LTE Network Extender is designed for self-installation, and uses Samsung's self-optimizing network technology to automatically learn its surroundings and adjust its coverage to improve user experience. "

0 Likes