cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

Would Verizon get rid of the upgrade fee?

I tend to let my emotions get the better of me, especially when it comes to my hard earned money. I'm creating this post to hear other's opinions about the upgrade fee.

Verizon offers an upgrade promotion once you completed your two-year commitment (if I am wrong, please correct me). Once this would come up, I'm super excited because I'm assuming I'm getting a new phone for a BIG discount. That is only part of it, there is a fee and it is now $40 (as of 9/16/2015). I'm really trying to get my hands on the iPhone 6, for another two-year deal it will run me $199. Thankfully I have managed to find a great deal.With this being my second go with an upgrade, I'm bugged that Verizon won't waive the upgrade fee. I really don't understand why there is an upgrade fee to begin with, but it is doubtful Verizon will end that fee.

I did finally speak with one representative, through chat, that said they would be willing to give me partial credit so I would be able to upgrade my device TODAY! 20 dollars off sounded some what soothing, but after a few minutes he retracted his statement with, "I can only credit you $14." That one stung, because I was expecting another sentence to follow with, "Sorry I can't credit you anything." That sentence didn't happen, because I said thank you but no thank you.

So that is my experience and thoughts. I would be very interesting in other Verizon or non-Verizon customer's views on the upgrade fee. Thank you.

Labels (1)
Etiquetas (3)
0 Me gusta

Re: Would Verizon get rid of the upgrade fee?

Snn5
Líder Sénior

The upgrade fee has been around for....4-5 years at least and it used to be lower, $30 I believe, nonetheless, the upgrade fee is going nowhere, especially seeing as how Verizon is only letting current customers keep 2 year contracts, all new customer cannot go on contract.

That BIG savings you speak of...it isn't, at all.  You still pay full price because your line access charge stays at $40.  No contract plans are $20 and then the monthly cost of the phone on a device payment plan.  So, contract phones are still full price, but also have a $40 upgrade fee, whereas no contract plans have a $0 upgrade fee.

Snn5
Líder Sénior

So, a $680 phone for example:

$200 contract cost phone:    $200 up front + $40 upgrade fee + $40 x 24 months access fee = $1200

$680 no contract DPP:       $0 up front + $0 upgrade + $20 x 24 month access fee +  $28.33 DPP x 24 months = $1160

You save the $40 upgrade fee on no contract DPP, but still pay full price on contract PLUS $40 upgrade fee.

Highlighted

Thank you SNN5 for your input. It was nice to see you break down the different prices. What troubles me is I have read dozens of blogs, and had two friends who were able to get Verizon to drop the upgrade fee. When I say drop I mean the waived it. I have spoken with half a dozen representatives who have all just said, "No!" I feel like there must be something I'm missing because where others have succeeded, I have failed. I have pleaded with the Verizon representatives to have the fee waived because I really want to upgrade my device and I want to continue my service with Verizon. I have to remind myself that I'm speaking to representatives at a call center, a third party support group, that probably doesn't have the service and are just waiting for their next break.

0 Me gusta

Snn5
Líder Sénior

Well, truth is that the new plans really are cheaper together with device payment plans MOST of the time.  Contracts are hard to convince anyone to buy anymore since you are stuck for a matter of time terms, unlike with DPP which is money term.  You could pay off the phone all day long on a contract (if that was possible) and still have to have Verizon 2 years, outside an ETF of course.  With DPP, you just pay off the phone and done.  the industry is wrong for making contracts appear cheaper than full price, when IE they are more expensive, and consumers are at fault for having not broken down the details and assuming that companies would tell the truth.  So, in the end, both the wireless carriers and the consumers get bitten by misinformation.  In a couple years it will be like contracts never happened with people's mentality being changed to see what's true after so many years thinking a $700 phone for $200 or a $500 phone for free was really a good deal, when really, it costs 500-700 + tax + upgrade fee.  With people paying $40 a month in access charges its the same as people making a Device Payment monthly at $20 line and $20 device...now people see where that extra $20 was going...to pay off a phone.  $480 over the course of a 2 year contract.

0 Me gusta

mama23dogs
Líder Sénior

Both ATT and Verizon have legacy accounts or FAN accounts that are marked that upgrade fee may be waived on request, they don't offer it.  I don't have one, you apparently don't either.

YOu can avoid the upgrade fee and get a bargain by shopping elsewhere for a Verizon phone and activate it on your line.

I Haven't purchased a phone through a carrier in about 2 years (I have 6 on my account)