cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

Will using the GPS on my iPhone use a lot of data?

pickle
Miembro

Does this use up a lot of the data usage??

Labels (1)
Etiquetas (4)
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas

Re: GPS On IPhone

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

pickle wrote:

This would depend on how you are using GPS.

The GPS sensor itself does not use data. There are ways the iPhone assists GPS which DOES use data, though, such as cellular tower triangulation data it receives from the network. While this data would be minimal, information your GPS gives your phone would possibly lead to increased data usage from other apps on your device.

Then there are apps on your device which then take that GPS information and request ADDITIONAL information based upon your GPS location. In THIS method, using GPS could increase your data usage. Some examples would be mapping software, shopping apps, weather apps, etc... Based upon the information your GPS sensor provides, your mapping software would request updated mapping information. Based upon the information your GPS sensor provides, your shopping apps/ApplePay app could request shopping information about retail outlets near your current location. Weather apps could request information about weather/alerts in your current location.

So while the use of GPS in and of itself may not use much if any data, information from your GPS which is used by other apps CAN and in many instances DOES increase your data consumption.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Highlighted

LENNYEDGE

gps is only a positioning protocol that maps and apps use for location and searches. NO data is transmited via gps, but does use battery more.

0 Me gusta

Community Manager
Community Manager

We want to see you get the most out of your plan every month! Thanks to OVERTHEEDGE for the details on the GPS. I love using GPS to stay updated on my commute time daily. http://www.vzw.com/datacalculator is a great tool to get an estimate on the amount of data consumed while using certain features. While GPS connections to a satelite will not use data, the consumption of data will occur as apps like Maps update the route with new information or other apps need to download new information about your current location.   -YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

pickle wrote:

This would depend on how you are using GPS.

The GPS sensor itself does not use data. There are ways the iPhone assists GPS which DOES use data, though, such as cellular tower triangulation data it receives from the network. While this data would be minimal, information your GPS gives your phone would possibly lead to increased data usage from other apps on your device.

Then there are apps on your device which then take that GPS information and request ADDITIONAL information based upon your GPS location. In THIS method, using GPS could increase your data usage. Some examples would be mapping software, shopping apps, weather apps, etc... Based upon the information your GPS sensor provides, your mapping software would request updated mapping information. Based upon the information your GPS sensor provides, your shopping apps/ApplePay app could request shopping information about retail outlets near your current location. Weather apps could request information about weather/alerts in your current location.

So while the use of GPS in and of itself may not use much if any data, information from your GPS which is used by other apps CAN and in many instances DOES increase your data consumption.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

LENNYEDGE

thanks for the accolade.

0 Me gusta