cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

Why do I have spiked data usage?

RANBUC87
Miembro

A Verizon Wireless supervisor (Angel) just hung up on me, after over an hour on the call. They cannot explain the usage spike, nor can I. And i can't get answers from Verizon. I did get my data usage for the past 6 months:

Apr - 1.5 GB

May - 1.5

June - 2.1

July - 2.5

Aug - 16

Sept - 6.9

Oct - 60.69

Verizon isn't willing to even discuss this problem. And they are not offering any explanations.

I don't use my phone differently than I have in past months, and I mostly use it from home on wi-fi. I just want an explanation, which I got when i googled "verizon wireless data usage spike."

This is SHADY. If this is happening to you, file a complaint with the FCC. This should not be allowed to continue.

Labels (1)
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas

Re: Data usage spike!

joey2007ua64
Novice

RANBUC87 wrote:

I have not changed my use. And it's not Facebook or some apps. I have already gone through the possibilities with Verizon and on my own..

It most certainly is not your word against theirs if you actually check the data use measured by your devices internal data counters.  First I would look at the data usage for each line. Then I would look at the usage measured by that device to see if it matches Verizon's data.

Screenshot_2016-09-12-16-20-54.png

Screenshot_2016-09-12-16-21-25.png

If it doesn't match take screenshots of the data usage of your phones and provide them to Verizon support.

If the usage matches then your phone used the data and you need to adjust the settings of the apps that are excessively using data in the background when you're not using your phone.  For example on my sister's phone an update to the Smart Peel Remote app caused it to start using 6GB of data a month in the background just updating its program information.  This resulted in a significant increase in her data use even though her habits had not changed.  I disabled the app and adjusted the settings of the other apps she actually used that were using a lot of data and for the last 4 months she has barely used 2GB.

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta

MiiHere
Leader

Check all devices for a data spike. Phones, wearable tech, jet pack etc. on phones look under settings>data usage. so long as your dates to keep data use haven't reset you should be able to see which app might be the problem. I've heard stories about how facebook posts get hung and continually try to post using massive amounts of data.

0 Me gusta

RANBUC87
Miembro

I have not changed my use. And it's not Facebook or some apps. I have already gone through the possibilities with Verizon and on my own. I always quit my apps, I check my

app settings. To go from 1.5 GB to over 60 GB within 6 months using my phone the same way is impossible, eapecially considering I am mainly

on wi-f.

That is the "explanation" that Verizon would have me believe and it is in their interest to be as confused as I am about the data use. They're making about $300 on one billing statement. So basically it's "my word" against theirs. This isn't a joke, and I'm not lying.

Min order to quit Verizon I have to wait until the end of the billing cycle. I'm very interested to see how much data will be consumed this month. And when I switch to a new provider. I suspect that I will get the most accurate data use analysis when I leave Verizon.

0 Me gusta

Ann154
Expert

Just because your usage hasn't changed , doesn't mean how the applications use the data didn't change.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

joey2007ua64
Novice

RANBUC87 wrote:

I have not changed my use. And it's not Facebook or some apps. I have already gone through the possibilities with Verizon and on my own..

It most certainly is not your word against theirs if you actually check the data use measured by your devices internal data counters.  First I would look at the data usage for each line. Then I would look at the usage measured by that device to see if it matches Verizon's data.

Screenshot_2016-09-12-16-20-54.png

Screenshot_2016-09-12-16-21-25.png

If it doesn't match take screenshots of the data usage of your phones and provide them to Verizon support.

If the usage matches then your phone used the data and you need to adjust the settings of the apps that are excessively using data in the background when you're not using your phone.  For example on my sister's phone an update to the Smart Peel Remote app caused it to start using 6GB of data a month in the background just updating its program information.  This resulted in a significant increase in her data use even though her habits had not changed.  I disabled the app and adjusted the settings of the other apps she actually used that were using a lot of data and for the last 4 months she has barely used 2GB.

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta

Weth
Líder Sénior

Exactly, you need to look at your devices and see what they are reporting.  That is counted separately from Verizon and shoukd be very close to what Verizon counts.  You do have a word but you haven't utilized it.

0 Me gusta

DANHOR30
Miembro

do you have an iPhone? Apple is using 'data'  to boost your phone's performance, therefore spiking data usage.....very dodgy! that's why verizon won't reply, because they're screwing people over it

0 Me gusta

ERIOBE99
Miembro

I don't use facebook on my phone at all. My use spiked significantly on the day I changed to the new plan. I know this because I was acutely aware of the exact date the change took place and I have not made any OS updates since the change or app updates. In the past all these did not have an impact as I do them on WifI. I am on wifi at home and at work which is really most of my time. I also do not watch video on my phone which is where most of the data says it's being used. I even have games on my usage and I don't play games on my phone.

I was happy on the 1GB plan and used about 10 to 20 percent of that data. Then the day I changed to the new plan with 2GB which sound like a good idea my data use was near my monthly use on the first day.  I have never used this much data even when traveling for business and using my phone on LTE for constant email. It feels like when your company tells you how much better the new pension plan will be...

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

tcad
Novice

You seem unwilling to check and indicate data usage reported on each of your devices so you aren't going to get much sympathy going forward.