cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

Why did our data spike suddenly?

DMCCLELLANDDM12
Miembro

Our data use shot up by 10G overnight inexplicably. My plan was changed from 18G to 16G for the same price, and my unused data was NOT rolled over. Since this seems to be widespread with Verizon, I will be looking into switching to AT&T.

Labels (1)
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas

Re: Why did our data spike suddenly?

Empleado de Verizon

It's important to us that you have the ability to track your data usage properly, jersgirl060606 and we certainly want to be on the same page when it comes to your usage. I'd be happy to provide additional support.

What is the make/model of the phone? Have you made any recent changes at all (apps/software updates) to the device? Our tools for monitoring usage are also helpful Herramientas para controlar el uso | Verizon Wireless  for investigating data utilization. Please reach back out to us when you have the opportunity and we will be ready to continue helping.

SteveR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

DMCCLELLANDDM12,

Thanks for reaching out to us on the community member forums. We know how important it is that your data use makes sense to you. I'm sure we can get this figured out together. We certainly don't want to see you go. What sort of devices do you have and what are they saying used the data in their menus?

EricW_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

BrokerT
Miembro

My sons data usage has done the same thing and I have drilled him as to what he has done different. He assures me he has not done anything any different than any other month. I feel from reading all these forums and issues that Verizon has a problem somewhere that needs attention.

First off he has averaged very consistently 4-5 gig per month. Then all of a sudden an extra 4 gig in one month? I don't think so. Need help with this matter and I am not calling to spend SEVERAL hours on phone with support!!!

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

Did you ask if he has his apps set to auto update or did he update some manually? Every time an app updated, the settings for that app MAY have changed so that even though he does NOTHING differently, his data usage can increase.

People have this idea that if they don't do something different, their data usage would not change. This IS NOT the case. An app can be updated, change the settings while doing so and your data usage CAN increase. Multiply this by the 50-100 app someone has on their device and that can add up to some serious data.

I know on several mornings, I wake up to see that 5-6 apps were automatically updated thru the night. That is 5-6 instances where my data usage CAN change if I do NOTHING differently.

Have your son check on the phone to see what apps are using the most data. Then have him go into the settings on those apps and check for settings which could minimize data use.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

BrokerT
Miembro

After 8 months of same usage I have a hard time believing that one or several of his apps suddenly updated to the tune of 4+ Gigs

Highlighted

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

But after the SAME 8 months of "same" usage Verizon is obviously at fault? Why rule out one but not the other? Of course, a simple check on your phones data usage counters can inform on which apps are using the most data, but it is more simple not to do that and simply blame Verizon.

Personally, I recently checked some apps for changes and found that MANY had changed the settings which minimized data usage, most notably Facebook. I had videos set to not automatically play. That setting had been changed to automatically play on wifi and cellular. That is kind of an important setting if you are trying to minimize data. Other data intensive apps could be just as dangerous. And this was after several years of "same" usage.

Highlighted

Empleado de Verizon

BrokerT, I understand your concern with your son's data usage. With so many new applications these days using data it is hard to keep track on how you are using the data. We have a great tool that will allow you to see how your son is using the data on his phone. To learn more on how to use the tool please visit http://vz.to/1B9SpiP

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

jersgirl060606
Miembro

My data has spiked significantly this month.  I called Verizon was told to turn off my cellular data when I am not on wifi.  I checked after this time and when on wifi asleep at 3AM my data is draining.  I have heard this multiple times from co-workers on Verizon.  Something is up, I was at 50% data usage by the 3rd day of the month and I typically never come close.  I have been with Verizon for 16 years and am switching to Sprint. 

Highlighted

rcschnoor
Líder Sénior

Have you checked the data counter on your phone to see what apps are using the most data. Have you gone into those apps to check the settings to see if they are using cellular data in a way which promotes data consumption? This is the FIRST thing you should do when you are using more data than you think you are using.

0 Me gusta

Empleado de Verizon

It's important to us that you have the ability to track your data usage properly, jersgirl060606 and we certainly want to be on the same page when it comes to your usage. I'd be happy to provide additional support.

What is the make/model of the phone? Have you made any recent changes at all (apps/software updates) to the device? Our tools for monitoring usage are also helpful Herramientas para controlar el uso | Verizon Wireless  for investigating data utilization. Please reach back out to us when you have the opportunity and we will be ready to continue helping.

SteveR_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta