cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:

Why can't I activate my device on line?

Capricorn1
Miembro

My phone fried itself yesterday, so I'm trying to activate my previous phone while waiting for a new phone to show up.

I went to My Verizon -> My Devices -> Activate or Switch Device and clicked on the Activate button. When I choose my phone from the list of devices, I get:

verizon-online-activation-error.jpg

I've been getting that message since late yesterday, so I've waited a few minutes.

If I try the same thing for either of the other phones on my plan, it appears that I would be able to complete the activation. The phone I want to activate is even listed among those that have been on the account before when I answer Yes to the "Are you activating a device that was previously used on your account?" option. Of course, I don't want to activate it on those lines.

I got the brilliant idea to first switch phones and then activate the old phone on the other line that would then have my dead phone. Then I would switch back. Unfortunately, switching phones also doesn't work if I choose my device.

Labels (1)
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas
Highlighted

Re: Activating a Device Online for Account Owner - Broken?

Capricorn1
Miembro

Gee, I hate to be one of those people that answers my own question, but I seem to have found the answer to my question.

I'm going back to my old iPhone 4, which is a 3G phone. I know it's a dinosaur by today's standards, but it will do four a couple days.

Since I wasn't able to activate it online, I called up customer service (1-800-922-0204). After navigating to technical support, I got the chance to say what I was looking help for ("Activating a device"), and was robo-told that for 4G/LTE devices, just put in the SIM card and turn it on. (I'm not sure how that works for an old 4G device you are reactivating.) I was also robo-told that for 3G devices, dial *228. I tried that, entered the number I wished to activate the phone on when asked and my billing/account PIN. Luckily, I just set up an account PIN yesterday.

After less than a minute, I was robo-told that my service had been programmed. I'm thinking, "Yeah, right." However, it was! I'm still curious how that works with a 4G cell phone with SIM cards. Would simply re-inserting the SIM card or moving the SIM card from the other phone have worked? Probably not in my case going from a full-sized SIM to a phone with a nano-SIM, but assuming the SIM cards needed were the same size, perhaps yes.

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Re: Activating a Device Online for Account Owner - Broken?

Capricorn1
Miembro

Gee, I hate to be one of those people that answers my own question, but I seem to have found the answer to my question.

I'm going back to my old iPhone 4, which is a 3G phone. I know it's a dinosaur by today's standards, but it will do four a couple days.

Since I wasn't able to activate it online, I called up customer service (1-800-922-0204). After navigating to technical support, I got the chance to say what I was looking help for ("Activating a device"), and was robo-told that for 4G/LTE devices, just put in the SIM card and turn it on. (I'm not sure how that works for an old 4G device you are reactivating.) I was also robo-told that for 3G devices, dial *228. I tried that, entered the number I wished to activate the phone on when asked and my billing/account PIN. Luckily, I just set up an account PIN yesterday.

After less than a minute, I was robo-told that my service had been programmed. I'm thinking, "Yeah, right." However, it was! I'm still curious how that works with a 4G cell phone with SIM cards. Would simply re-inserting the SIM card or moving the SIM card from the other phone have worked? Probably not in my case going from a full-sized SIM to a phone with a nano-SIM, but assuming the SIM cards needed were the same size, perhaps yes.

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta