cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quisiste decir:
Highlighted

Why am I seeing data usage when I am sleeping?

Miembro

I am continually puzzled by these little bits of data that are supposedly being used on my iphone 6 at all hours of the night when I am sleeping and my iphone is connected to my wireless.  The usage is routinely showing up at 12 or 24 hour intervals (within a few minutes of each other) or even hourly (within a few minutes of each other).  The data usage is miniscule, like .0001 GB but it all adds up over a month's time.  This happens on more than one device.  I have my background application refresh off as well as my application auto update.  Can anyone explain why there is data usage showing up in this way?  Gracias.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas
Highlighted

Re: Suspicious data charges

Líder Sénior

This is quite normal. Think of it as the device checking in to home base saying "I am still here". Towers report data if nothing is happening on 6 hour increments, so that is why you will see every 6, 12, 24 hours. The data use on this rarely adds up to a small fraction of a GB over a month. The only way to prevent it is to turn off the cellular data when at home, but the amount is so small that for most it is not a problem.

Also keep in mind the time stamps are the start of a reporting period, not the end. So if you see 4:00 AM, the data use reported there is from 4AM to the next later time.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Suspicious data charges

Líder Sénior

This is quite normal. Think of it as the device checking in to home base saying "I am still here". Towers report data if nothing is happening on 6 hour increments, so that is why you will see every 6, 12, 24 hours. The data use on this rarely adds up to a small fraction of a GB over a month. The only way to prevent it is to turn off the cellular data when at home, but the amount is so small that for most it is not a problem.

Also keep in mind the time stamps are the start of a reporting period, not the end. So if you see 4:00 AM, the data use reported there is from 4AM to the next later time.

View solution in original post

0 Likes