cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quisiste decir:
Highlighted

Why Am I Getting Fraudulent Calls From Incorrect Local Numbers?

Miembro

Daily multiple calls showing caller's phone number being in my local area code. Yet if I call the local phone number, the person did not make the call. This seems like it should be a fraudulent use of Caller ID. Is this illegal, and if so how to I report this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas
Highlighted

Re: Caller's ID shows fraudulent incorrect local number

Líder Sénior

It's called "spoofing".  Caller ID spoofing is generally illegal in the United States if done "with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value".   However, when it's done just to annoy (hang up, no messages, just nuisance calls) it's not technically illegal.

And there are plenty of apps and programs that let anyone spoof a number ... just google it and you'll see.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Caller's ID shows fraudulent incorrect local number

Líder Sénior

It's called "spoofing".  Caller ID spoofing is generally illegal in the United States if done "with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value".   However, when it's done just to annoy (hang up, no messages, just nuisance calls) it's not technically illegal.

And there are plenty of apps and programs that let anyone spoof a number ... just google it and you'll see.

View solution in original post

0 Likes