cancelar
Mostrar resultados para
Busca en su lugar
Quieres decir:
Highlighted

What should I do about upgrading with a broken screen?

Miembro

I walked into a Verizon authorized retailer today and upgraded my iPhone 5s to a 6s. I am due for an upgrade in July but was looking for a new phone as mine has a substantially cracked screen and I wanted some extra storage on my phone. It was a rough experience but one of the details the service representative brought up was that I would need to send in my device as part of the early upgrade process (through Edge, I believe, though that phrase wasn't used in our chat).

The representative seemed to think that if I got the screen repaired, it wouldn't be a big deal. That information seems very, very wrong after reading some of these forums. I fear that a replaced screen and some dings on the corners of the phone would prevent me from being charged the $200 fee for not having a phone in "good working condition."

A few thought and questions:

1. Because my device is not in what I would consider "good working condition," is it even worth trying to repair the screen and send into Verizon so I don't get charged $200? It sounds like I would lose this phone altogether and still need to pay the $200 if the phone were not up to Verizon's standards? ($100 repair + $200 fee from Verizon + $0 in resale value on my own = a bad investment, right?)

2. If I choose to just lose the $200, could I unlock my original 5s and sell it to a friend to use instead? More specifically, can I unlock my 5s at all in this situation? Or could Verizon prevent that phone from being used again?

tl;dr -- Can I unlock a phone and sell it to a friend that Verizon expects to be part of a "trade in" type of deal for an early upgrade?

Thanks everyone!

Labels (1)
0 Me gusta
1 Solution

Respuestas correctas

Re: Early Upgrade, Good Condition, and Unlocked Phones

Líder Sénior

with a broken screen you'd probably make the same amount of money you will be charged for not turning it in if it is $200. If i was you I'd make sure I get as much as I would lose.

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

The phone is already unlocked. If you didn't start the edge agreement from the beginning you can do what you want.

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Líder Sénior

The phone shouldn't work on any Verizon or any of the MVNO that uses Verizon. Possibly other carriers if that carrier subscribed to the same database

0 Me gusta
Highlighted

Miembro

¡Gracias, Tidbits!

I got the original iPhone through Verizon back when upgrades were $200 and two year contracts. (Again, my 2 year contract is complete in a few months but I chose to upgrade early because I have no self-control).

So I would probably be best off eating the $200 charge for not sending my phone in and making up a little bit of the difference by selling it?

0 Me gusta

Líder Sénior

with a broken screen you'd probably make the same amount of money you will be charged for not turning it in if it is $200. If i was you I'd make sure I get as much as I would lose.

View solution in original post

0 Me gusta
Covid19